No goods vehicles - why this sign?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

JamesA44

No goods vehicles - why this sign?

Post by JamesA44 »

This sign intrigues me -

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.18939 ... 6656?hl=en

Why not put up a usual No Goods Vehicles sign in a red circle?

I know my Highway Code and have looked into it, but not found anything solid. Is there a subtle difference?
JohnnyMo

Re: No goods vehicles - why this sign?

Post by JohnnyMo »

I assume it is informational, probably the council could not be bothered to do the legal paperwork. HGV should not pass this point rather than must not
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

There probably would be the risk of some HGVs getting stuck trying to turn the corner but also some that may be able to pass, but may ruin the paving stones and/or plants on the island. So best thing is to discourage them all even though some may make it.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

It's really only intended for light traffic to do a U-turn to access the Cathedral NCP car park. No particular reason for goods vehicles to use it.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Just a pictogram version of this common "Unsuitable for HGVs", and with as much legal force. These notices are normally only erected after one or more incidents, although like this example here they are often rather stupidly erected only after the Point Of No Return.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.08436 ... 6656?hl=en

I presume if an HGV ignores it and comes to grief, although it's not a specific TRO contravention they can be done under Driving Without Due Care and Attention.