"Unsuitable for motors"

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

RichardA626

Re: "Unsuitable for motors"

Post by RichardA626 »

I remember flat topped 30 signs were common in the Peak District well into the 1990s, I presume Derbyshire Dales Council were slow replacing them, possibly only once they seriously faded.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

c2R wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 21:04
Chris Bertram wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 13:22
As for this one, they're not kidding and you probably will get stuck, unless you're in at least a landrover with a snorkel, and that's in the summer!

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.9303145 ... 312!8i6656
For much of the summer these days that's deep silty/sandy mud, rather than actually under water
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

c2R wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 21:04As for this one, they're not kidding and you probably will get stuck, unless you're in at least a landrover with a snorkel, and that's in the summer!

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.9303145 ... 312!8i6656
I note that Google didn't send the Streetview car along that one. It features on Wetroads Hertfordshire page. Scroll down to Furneux Pelham.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

My folks went through the fun and games of dealing with our local council over an "Unsuitable For Motors" sign on an adopted road near them.

Original Discussion

DIscussuion of Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles sign

In short, the road from my folks' village over the mountain to the next one fell apart under the weight of timber lorries under contract to Natural Resources Wales (Forestry Commission). The council wanted NRW to pay for the quite substantial repairs, but NRW were slow paying up. This meant the main route out of the village when there was flooding was barely passable, and wrecked at least one tyre on my folks' car.

To avoid liability (I suspect) the council decided that this road, which had recently had sections widened and even realigned for HGV traffic was "Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles". Now the road has finally been rebuilt, but of course the signs are still up.

Now here's a question: For most restrictions there's some kind of TRO/Law involved, and therefore the actual signage doesn't matter too much (i.e. just sticking 50mph signs on a D2 doesn't drop the limit). What's the situation with "Unsuitable" signs? Is there an actual TRO anywhere to enforce them? If, but some unknown force all the "Unsuitable" signage disappeared one night, would the council still be able to wash its hands of its liabilities?
Built for comfort, not speed.
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

"Unsuitable for" or a crossed out lorry have no legal force. If you get stuck, it's at your own risk and, as mentioned upthread, you're likely to have at least a discussion about driving without due care and attention.

I descended Fairhill Street through Ballycastle Forest on Sunday morning - unmetalled gravel service with plenty of potholes. It could probably do with "unsuitable for..." signs.
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

This one is presumably in place due to the steepness of the hill, but as you can see is ignored.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

rhyds wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:09 Now here's a question: For most restrictions there's some kind of TRO/Law involved, and therefore the actual signage doesn't matter too much (i.e. just sticking 50mph signs on a D2 doesn't drop the limit). What's the situation with "Unsuitable" signs? Is there an actual TRO anywhere to enforce them? If, but some unknown force all the "Unsuitable" signage disappeared one night, would the council still be able to wash its hands of its liabilities?
They have no legal basis but police will take a view if you drive past one and become a cropper. You can put them up anywhere without an order but as always compliance is reliant on being seen to be serving a purpose.

"Unsuitable for motors" as a result should be super uncommon but it's appearing in more and more places.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Seem to be investigating Lostwithiel at the moment.

Clearly this sign is a blatant lie or is at least treated as one by locals. Perhaps "No through road" with an exception plate for bicycles would be more appropriate because the road does go through a building or at least the narrow arch of one ahead.
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Just noticed another older style variant on Streetview. By the side of Loweswater. "Unfit for cars" is the fingerpost signage under the destination. Have been past in the flesh a few times and not noticed it. Mind you, the moss covering and generally faded nature of it, makes that less surprising. The Google Streetview man/woman either had a mountain bike or thought "Blow it, I'm going." because the views take us all the way to the other end where there are farms, tractors and cars and the other end until about half way does look perfectly servicable for even normal cars.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

multiraider2 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 13:11 Just noticed another older style variant on Streetview. By the side of Loweswater. "Unfit for cars" is the fingerpost signage under the destination. Have been past in the flesh a few times and not noticed it. Mind you, the moss covering and generally faded nature of it, makes that less surprising. The Google Streetview man/woman either had a mountain bike or thought "Blow it, I'm going." because the views take us all the way to the other end where there are farms, tractors and cars and the other end until about half way does look perfectly servicable for even normal cars.
Another variant at the other end: "unfit for motor vehicles".
Let it snow.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

This sign is just an all purpose copout. I have seen this on roads where better variants would be

Road Narrows
Uneven Road
Soft Verges
Ford
Risk of Grounding

This example at St Davids Cathedral in Wales ticks the latter two, I walked past it when the stream was low and the drop off looked nasty, I might try it in Defender but not your average 4x4

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.88231 ... 8192?hl=en
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.88222 ... 8192?hl=en

A couple worth considering might be

Dont Even Think About It !
NIMBY's Ahead

:)