Farside Secondary Signals

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

traffic-light-man

Re: Farside Secondary Signals

Post by traffic-light-man »

Bryn666 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 09:56RSA demand I think. "Just in case".
What's the general stand point on advance warning beacons in this type of scenario (if indeed there is one)? By that, I mean a sign is accompanied by flashing lanterns, active while the signals are red. They seem to be common elsewhere in the world, but they don't seem to be common here at all.

I can only think of one set (M56 J12 E/B Exit) that are now gone, they used to flash when the signals were in use.

Not directly a signal warning, but there used to be big fibre-optic queue warnings on the A5036 and A59 as they crossed the Leeds Liverpool Canal outbound because of 'hidden' signals, though these were removed many years ago and not replaced. More recently, an LED one has appeared on the A59 in roughly the same place, that I think activates when the signals change to red, but generally speaking this scenario is more readily fixed with high-level signals.
Simon
traffic-light-man

So, a few more sites on the (still ongoing, far over-running) A565 dualling scheme in Liverpool have had their signals installed in the last week or so. There are three instances of the arrangement in the attached image. I have no idea what the benefits or reasoning are, but the primary completely obscures the secondary from further along the road.
Attachments
IMG_20201003_085436.jpg
Simon
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Bryn666 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 09:56
jervi wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 16:34
tom66 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 14:05 What are the thoughts on this signal here:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.66879 ... 312!8i6656

which is on the "wrong" side, repeating the main traffic signal for that roundabout entrance?

I can only surmise that the signal is placed there as the main signals are otherwise blind from that corner, but I can't see why they wouldn't just move the signals further forward until they were not blind, and adjust the roundabout timings to compensate. The signal to the right seems like a bodge, but it's a bodge from origin as it was added around 2014 or so when the junction was signalised.
That is horrid, I don't see why it is there since there is a 40 mph limit on the approach.
If the 85% percentile speed is 40mph, the recommended stopping sight distance is 80m. That is achievable from the right hand lane, and could be achievable from the left hand lane with a bit of vegetation clearance.
Interestingly there is only 1 warning sign of traffic lights. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.66987 ... 312!8i6656 surely it would be better to have 200 and 100 yards warning signs of traffic lights and clear some vegetation back rather than put a light 30 metres away from the primary signal
RSA demand I think. "Just in case".
Yesterday, I drove past another example of a secondary on the wrong side of the road. On the A240 from Tolworth and on the same basis as the above example I assume. There being a bend in the road before the signal. Shown here. Again a 40 mph speed limit on this road.
tom66

Post by tom66 »

There's this rotating warning sign in Leeds:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.78199 ... 384!8i8192

I've always assumed it would rotate to the 'yellow' position if the signal ahead was on red, but it never seems to move from this state. I wonder what else it might indicate?

Incidentally, there is a signing mistake here too, as there are 40 mph entry signs posted a little further back, but the sliproad has a 40 mph sign nearer to the M621 (which has a nominal 50 mph limit for most of the city sections.)
traffic-light-man

tom66 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:47 There's this rotating warning sign in Leeds:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.78199 ... 384!8i8192

I've always assumed it would rotate to the 'yellow' position if the signal ahead was on red, but it never seems to move from this state. I wonder what else it might indicate?
There are these flip-over signs on the A580 in Knowsley, at all three A580 junctions in the borough. The original intention was that when the signals were off, the signs would flip to show the diagram 7019 'light signals not in use' sign face. I'm fairly sure there's a battery backup or similar-purpose circuitry to give the signs time to flip over in case of a power failure.

I've no idea if they still work, though, and I know some have been removed due to junction upgrade works or as victims of RTCs and not been replaced.
Simon