Just realised I've never actually seen these signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Skipsy

Just realised I've never actually seen these signs

Post by Skipsy »

I know ahead only is used a lot on traffic signals but I've never seen an actual sign for one, neither have I seen a raw "no waiting" sign
Anyone know of any locations?
Attachments
1_490735d33d380da92fdab54918d25a92.jpg
p-51774-ahead-only-sign.jpg
p-51774-ahead-only-sign.jpg (7.83 KiB) Viewed 2842 times
Nathan_A_RF

Re: Just realised I've never actually seen these signs

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

A no waiting sign on it's own has not been prescribed since 1975 I believe. The ahead only sign on the other hand is just rare, I recall never seeing one also.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Some "no waiting" signs are still replaced like for like - presumably because whoever is replacing them doesn't understand that a different sign is now required, or because the regulation hasn't changed.

Milford in Surrey has a very comprehensive installation, with no waiting roundels all over the village. They appear to be for parking restrictions on the former A3, which was bypassed in 1989 but seems never to have had its signs updated.
Here are some of them. And here is a suspiciously new one.
Dougman

Post by Dougman »

Here's an ahead only Don't look at the signs coming the other way though!
lose: (v): to suffer the deprivation of - to lose one's job; to lose one's life.

loose: (a): free or released from fastening or attachment - a loose end.
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

There's a few Ahead Only signs close to me, normally where turning traffic is directed down a side road before a crossroads.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

I did my South African drivign test in Johannesburg. As part of tehe test, the examiner showed me cattle grid road sign and asked me what the sign was and followed my answer up with the question "... and what is a cattle grid". Unknown to him, I had been brought up in the country and knew exactly what one was. AS soon as I started to describe one in detail, he stopped me - it was obvious that I knew what it was.
vlad

Post by vlad »

Dougman wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 08:47 Here's an ahead only Don't look at the signs coming the other way though!
"All motor vehicles prohibited, except buses taxis & cycles, except for access" (link). :S

Does that mean that taxis aren't allowed along that road if they're serving the estate but can use it as a rat run? :)
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Dougman

Post by Dougman »

vlad wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 20:03
Dougman wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 08:47 Here's an ahead only Don't look at the signs coming the other way though!
"All motor vehicles prohibited, except buses taxis & cycles, except for access" (link). :S

Does that mean that taxis aren't allowed along that road if they're serving the estate but can use it as a rat run? :)
Possibly! :)

In any case, the no right turn coming from the east doesn't have the except for access restriction (the only way to access that road), so I've no idea what they are for. Don't get me started on the cyclist exemption on the plate either, when they are already exempted by the sign!
lose: (v): to suffer the deprivation of - to lose one's job; to lose one's life.

Burwellian

Post by Burwellian »

Look at the historical images too; the left "All motor vehicles prohibited" sign used to be another "no right turn" sign. Only the left one!
Dougman

Post by Dougman »

Burwellian wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 01:56

Look at the historical images too; the left "All motor vehicles prohibited" sign used to be another "no right turn" sign. Only the left one!
Don't get me started on some of the signing around here...

AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

Belfast has the for in the wrong place (should be except buses and for access), but is otherwise correct - taxis aren't allowed to rat run in this case, but that doesn't stop them.
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

Dougman wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 09:16 In any case, the no right turn coming from the east doesn't have the except for access restriction (the only way to access that road), so I've no idea what they are for. Don't get me started on the cyclist exemption on the plate either, when they are already exempted by the sign!
Surely the road markings are wrong as well? There's a line here that doesn't make sense. It should be a give way line - except there's nothing to give way to, as the lane coming in from the right has no legal way to get into it. The line should be removed, and the lane on the right hatched out, shouldn't it?
tom66

Post by tom66 »

SteelCamel wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 13:14Surely the road markings are wrong as well? There's a line here that doesn't make sense. It should be a give way line - except there's nothing to give way to, as the lane coming in from the right has no legal way to get into it. The line should be removed, and the lane on the right hatched out, shouldn't it?
Clearly taxis and buses are expected to plow at full pace into the lane. To give way at that point would be to contravening the lack of such a line!
Dougman

Post by Dougman »

SteelCamel wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 13:14
Surely the road markings are wrong as well? There's a line here that doesn't make sense. It should be a give way line - except there's nothing to give way to, as the lane coming in from the right has no legal way to get into it. The line should be removed, and the lane on the right hatched out, shouldn't it?
Yes it should, but given the state of the signs I doubt that the lines would be correct either!

AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

I think it must be a leftover from before this was stopped up as until that point it was permissible to turn right.
Dougman

Post by Dougman »

AndyB wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:46 I think it must be a leftover from before this was stopped up as until that point it was permissible to turn right.
From a quick look at the historic mapping, that street was stopped up before the bypass was built and the layout has remained as is since the bypass was built. The intention must have been to have main traffic use the bypass and Bellfield Street to get to Blackness Rd from the outset.

Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

An old pair still standing in Dornoch

Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Does allow the settlement to forgo the use of ugly yellow lines, at least. Still think these signs should be allowed.
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

Where parking restriction road markings would worsen the appearance of a historic town/street, a parking restriction zone is used (e.g. controlled zone) which indeed include the no waiting sign.
TS

Post by TS »

I've come across a few original ones this weekend:

Exiting onto Rosemary Lane from Kingsway, Blackwater, here, are a pair on opposite sides of the road:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.33156 ... 384!8i8192

On Green Lane, just the other side of the A30, another pair:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.32995 ... 312!8i6656

And one on the A30 Hartley Wintney High Street here:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.30531 ... 312!8i6656