Just realised I've never actually seen these signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jgharston

Re: Just realised I've never actually seen these signs

Post by jgharston »

This weekend's QI was fairly Sabristic, having rounds on street signs, and the A66 and A66(M) being two answers in another round.
Sulzer:1999

Post by Sulzer:1999 »

There are a couple of ‘No waiting’ signs in Ballater & Tarland, which to to me brings a continental feel to Deeside!
They look quite old too, I can imagine the then Ballater (North Britain) Provost & other local burghers spending many hours planning on how to site these new fangled fancy signs.

Murray Duncan
Skipsy

Post by Skipsy »

Sulzer:1999 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 07:18 There are a couple of ‘No waiting’ signs in Ballater & Tarland, which to to me brings a continental feel to Deeside!
They look quite old too, I can imagine the then Ballater (North Britain) Provost & other local burghers spending many hours planning on how to site these new fangled fancy signs.

Murray Duncan
Just looked at GSV and saw this abomination of a road marking, not to do with the post's topic but thought it was weird
https://www.google.com/maps/@57.0480036 ... 312!8i6656
TS

Post by TS »

Well, would you look at that! We have an old original one on West Cliff Road in Bournemouth:
https://goo.gl/maps/zDV8Zr1ocz32Pnq69
Peter350

Post by Peter350 »

Staying in the Bournemouth urban area, there is also one on Wimborne Road in Moordown:
https://goo.gl/maps/RJPfShkSmuS6T6317
Skipsy

Post by Skipsy »

Now I have remembered I've seen a variation of an 'Ahead Only' sign for lorries https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4442863 ... 312!8i6656
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

There's one showing its age now in Sawbridgeworth on the old A11 here: https://www.google.com/maps/@51.8117021 ... 312!8i6656
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Britain

Post by Britain »

I saw this today in Liverpool and swore I remembered a thread asking for examples. I'm glad I found this thread again!
I'm nobody special, just somebody who enjoys looking at and talking about infrastructure. Eager to learn as much as I can about the roads of the UK 🇬🇧 - please help me with this.
Skipsy

Post by Skipsy »

I can't believe i've missed this, since I've been past here before without noticing:
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.2932788 ... 384!8i8192
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

How common are No Buses signs?

[gmap]https://goo.gl/maps/PdKecYLL6ExqE2XeA[/gmap]

This one in Stockport is the only one I've seen outside of the Highway Code.

PS: I can't get the link to embed!
Beware of the trickster on the roof
Kevin Roads

Post by Kevin Roads »

Good spot, Richard. I don't remember seeing any, they can't be common.

Those signs look internally-illuminated as well (although of a modern-looking metal-backed design, not the white plastic 'box style' of old), which I don't think is done now, I think they are all retroreflective now.
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

RichardA626 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 22:16 How common are No Buses signs?
Skegness has a couple of "No buses except buses" signs:
https://goo.gl/maps/bHjSS5H5h4hFiWa56
https://goo.gl/maps/XgAERmZCnfB8Wo9EA

Presumably these are supposed to be "except local buses", but as it stands I'd think these are unenforceable as they don't actually prohibit anything.

One of the rarest signs must be the "no vehicles carrying explosives" warning signs. I'm aware that they're used at tunnels, but can't recall ever actually seeing one in real life. And while "pass either side" signs aren't rare, ones as big as this must be. Unfortunately that example no longer exists!
Having a cuppa

Post by Having a cuppa »

SteelCamel wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 14:16 And while "pass either side" signs aren't rare, ones as big as this must be. Unfortunately that example no longer exists!
What is odd about "pass either side" signs is that they are never used correctly. They are supposed to indicate you can pass either side to reach the same place but three quarters of the time I see them between the motorway and spurs leading off the motorway.
My car gets 90 leagues to the firkin and that's the way I like it!
M4Simon
Elected Committee Member

Post by M4Simon »

Having a cuppa wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 16:07 What is odd about "pass either side" signs is that they are never used correctly. They are supposed to indicate you can pass either side to reach the same place but three quarters of the time I see them between the motorway and spurs leading off the motorway.
Can you give an example of where there is a pass either side sign between the motorway and a spur leading off it? I don't think I've ever noticed this.

Simon
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Please contact me if you want to know more
Having a cuppa

Post by Having a cuppa »

M4Simon wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 16:30
Having a cuppa wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 16:07 What is odd about "pass either side" signs is that they are never used correctly. They are supposed to indicate you can pass either side to reach the same place but three quarters of the time I see them between the motorway and spurs leading off the motorway.
Can you give an example of where there is a pass either side sign between the motorway and a spur leading off it? I don't think I've ever noticed this.

Simon
That is quite tricky as a lot of them were either temporary, have been removed, or are just difficult to find. If you you want a basic idea of what I'm talking about here is the M1 J3 in the Republic of Ireland in 2009.
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.407586, ... 312!8i6656

What is funny is I recall seeing a Highways England report on the "importance of signing practices" or something like that and on the background of the first or second page, there was a "pass either side" sign between the motorway and a spur leading off. :laugh:
M4Simon
Elected Committee Member

Post by M4Simon »

Having a cuppa wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 16:48
M4Simon wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 16:30

Simon
That is quite tricky as a lot of them were either temporary, have been removed, or are just difficult to find. If you you want a basic idea of what I'm talking about here is the M1 J3 in the Republic of Ireland in 2009.
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.3985703 ... bfov%3D100

What is funny is I recall seeing a Highways England report on the "importance of signing practices" or something like that and on the background of the first or second page, there was a "pass either side" sign between the motorway and a spur leading off. :laugh:
The google streetview link seems to link to M3 J2 in the UK, not M1 J3 in the Republic of Ireland?

I've certainly seen them misused in temporary situations, though not that I can recall on a motorway. I've also seen them misused in permanent locations, but they tend to be in an urban environment, not on the motorway. I don't think I've ever seen them used on motorways in a permanent situtation, hence my question.

Is it possible that in the HE document you've seen, the example shown was intended to illustrate something that is not permitted - examples of bad signage?

Simon

Having a cuppa

Post by Having a cuppa »

M4Simon wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 16:59 The google streetview link seems to link to M3 J2 in the UK, not M1 J3 in the Republic of Ireland?

I've certainly seen them misused in temporary situations, though not that I can recall on a motorway. I've also seen them misused in permanent locations, but they tend to be in an urban environment, not on the motorway. I don't think I've ever seen them used on motorways in a permanent situtation, hence my question.

Is it possible that in the HE document you've seen, the example shown was intended to illustrate something that is not permitted - examples of bad signage?

Simon
I noticed I posted the wrong link and I corrected it so try again.

Second of all the document was focusing more on good signing practices and the example was just a background picture. I don't think it was intended to illustrate something that is not permitted.
M4Simon
Elected Committee Member

Post by M4Simon »

Having a cuppa wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 17:05
M4Simon wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 16:59 The google streetview link seems to link to M3 J2 in the UK, not M1 J3 in the Republic of Ireland?

Simon
I noticed I posted the wrong link and I corrected it so try again.

Second of all the document was focusing more on good signing practices and the example was just a background picture. I don't think it was intended to illustrate something that is not permitted.
Yes, that's definitely misused. I'd be interested in seeing a link to the HE document if you have it available.

Simon

Having a cuppa

Post by Having a cuppa »

M4Simon wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 17:10
Yes, that's definitely misused. I'd be interested in seeing a link to the HE document if you have it available.

Simon
Unfortunately, I couldn't find the link. Instead I just found Highway Englands pdfs detailing their corporate schemes and webpages telling to me "dOwNLoaD tHe LAtesT VERsiOn oF FLasH playER".
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

SteelCamel wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 14:16
RichardA626 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 22:16 How common are No Buses signs?
Skegness has a couple of "No buses except buses" signs:
https://goo.gl/maps/bHjSS5H5h4hFiWa56
https://goo.gl/maps/XgAERmZCnfB8Wo9EA

Presumably these are supposed to be "except local buses", but as it stands I'd think these are unenforceable as they don't actually prohibit anything.
The Highway Code mentions "except regular scheduled, schools & works buses"
Beware of the trickster on the roof