"Leaving built-up area" sign

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Lockwood

Re: "Leaving built-up area" sign

Post by Lockwood »

I've seen one at Whiteparish.

Seen some somewhere when I've been working in Dorset, can't remember where.
Micro The Maniac

Post by Micro The Maniac »

WHBM wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:59 We used to have a very good and standardised official way of showing this. It was called a Derestricted Sign ...
In many ways, a "you are now entering" and "you are now leaving" seem a more logical means of demarking the urban speed limit (typically 30mph) than a (sometimes) arbitrary TRO (or LA equivalent).

Of course, increasingly, the 30 limit is deemed not low enough, whilst the applicable are extends well beyond the village/town limits.

So I would support the use of "you are now entering" - as meaning 30mph on the through-route (unless otherwise stated) and 20mph on residential side roads - and "you are now leaving" meaning NSL (unless otherwise stated).
M4Simon

Post by M4Simon »

Britain wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 19:49 I found a "leaving built-up area" sign which I've never seen in the UK before.

Does anybody have any information on these signs or any other examples in the UK?

I've seen them in Europe quite a lot but never here.

Edit: on a separate note, I find the keep right arrows strange here too, considering there isn't actually an obstacle for you to keep right of. Also, has the trend of traffic islands and loads of signs on the entrance/exits to villages been around forever or is it a relatively recent thing? I've only noticed it in the past few years myself.
That's an apalling piece of design - as you say the 610 Keep Right arrows are inappropriate. It looks very cluttered, and with the centre island signs mounted on the back of larger signs pointing the other way just looks clumsy.

The trend for islands and gateways as traffic calming features dates back to the 1990s as far as I recall.

Simon
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Please contact me if you want to know more
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

M4Simon wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 16:22
The trend for islands and gateways as traffic calming features dates back to the 1990s as far as I recall.
Yes, I've never been a fan of the central island as a gateway feature, particularly when cycling it feels like you're forced to be an unwilling part of the traffic calming, with a 50mph speed differential between you and the motorist who has slowed down to follow you through because the island means there's insufficient room to overtake you, e.g. here: https://www.google.com/maps/@51.8114222 ... 312!8i6656
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

c2R wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 17:01
M4Simon wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 16:22
Yes, I've never been a fan of the central island as a gateway feature, particularly when cycling it feels like you're forced to be an unwilling part of the traffic calming, with a 50mph speed differential between you and the motorist who has slowed down to follow you through because the island means there's insufficient room to overtake you, e.g. here: https://www.google.com/maps/@51.8114222 ... 312!8i6656
A mea culpa on my part as I've installed such islands in the past before I really took cycling seriously as a designer. Won't be doing it again, of course.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

Octaviadriver wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:25
Vierwielen wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 21:16
Bfivethousand wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:25 I saw this and thought of you, Bishop Sutton
Since the sign in the picture is so well hidden by vegetation, can you be prosecuted for failing to obey it? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Initially I hadn't noticed the sign on the nearside as it's completely overgrown and I thought there's only an offside sign until I looked at the earliest view from 2009.
https://goo.gl/maps/3MKFa2HpdqW1ZuDe6
At times it feels like Lincolnshire County Council go out of their way to find the only tree or bush on a stretch of road & stick a sign behind it.This one for example is randomly positioned on that particular stretch of road, it could have been before the bus stop & greenery or further past it where's there's nothing to obstruct it but they placed it right where there's large dollops of greenery on both sides. Unsurprisingly given budgetary squeezes the bushes rarely get trimmed. Full marks though for fitting back to back single sided internally illuminated speed limit signs though, that alone must have made damn sure there was nothing left in the budget.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Nathan_A_RF wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 15:09 A built up area sign wouldn't work well here in my opinion, but a city limits type sign may work. In some countries such as France, the city limit sign is also an urban area sign and has a 50/km limit attached to it (unless other speed limit posted). In countries such as Poland, there are two separate signs. The green one [in the attachment in the original post] is a city limits sign and the white city sign indicates an urban area and speed limit of 50km/h. These can therefore be used independently.
The difference between the British sign and the Polish sign is that one needs to be able to understand English to understand the British sign but one does not need to understand Polish to understand the Polish sign.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Britain

Post by Britain »

Big L wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 20:10 Grafton Regis
They even have the nice red and white checkboards underneath. Lovely.

Interesting that there are no arrows on the road to warn you that a solid line is coming up.
I'm nobody special, just somebody who enjoys looking at and talking about infrastructure. Eager to learn as much as I can about the roads of the UK 🇬🇧 - please help me with this.