Average speed cameras upon roadworks.

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

CrazyInWeston

Average speed cameras upon roadworks.

Post by CrazyInWeston »

Basically 2 things.
1. Do you do go 50 mph at the first sign OR do you slow down JUST before the very first of those yellow average speed cameras?

I stay at 70/80 past the first 50 sign if traffic allows till I see the first camera which can be in some cases some half mile/a mile past the first 50mph sign. They cant catch you if no cameras innit.

2. Have you noticed how quickly the NSL signs are past the very last of these cameras and you see so many drivers speed up straight away or just before? Granted it doesnt make much of a difference, but I my self make sure by approximating a gantry speed camera distance before speeding up even after these NSL signs just to make sure! (mainly because my average speed would be 55 on my cars speedo, I'm one of the faster drivers during these average camera zones and I've not been done yet.)

(I've put this thread here because I'm talking about the Motorway average speed cameras which is street furniture, however me talking speeds could be transport and driving so apologies if wrong forum, I wasnt sure on this one. Mods please if wrong place in correct forum, sorry again if wrong. However this thread I will allow the opportunity to talk of these cameras/how they work/its speed thresholds etc so its open to that as well.)
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Re: Average speed cameras upon roadworks.

Post by RichardA35 »

As a simple metric, on my last scheme with an average speed system the SCP have been prosecuting about 500 drivers per month over the last 18 months. This is some 15 per day from an overall flow of 77,000 vpd.
It's fair to say that compliance is very good and the prosecutions are of the very small minority that are difficult to reach or teach with Chapter 8 signage.
Micro The Maniac

Post by Micro The Maniac »

CrazyInWeston wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 23:25 1. Do you do go 50 mph at the first sign OR do you slow down JUST before the very first of those yellow average speed cameras?
Because I am mostly a good boy, I anticipate, and slow down (by easing off, not braking) as I pass the sign...
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

RichardA35 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 08:18 As a simple metric, on my last scheme with an average speed system the SCP have been prosecuting about 500 drivers per month over the last 18 months. This is some 15 per day from an overall flow of 77,000 vpd.
It's fair to say that compliance is very good and the prosecutions are of the very small minority that are difficult to reach or teach with Chapter 8 signage.
Even 15 a day is high given the general knowledge surrounding the cameras and how they work. Most satnavs with camera warnings these days now show your average speed within a Specs system so if you've booted it to overtake some dawdlers you know how much to ease off before reaching the next camera.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

My current scheme is catching about 500 people a day with an AADT of 44,500. Although this is single camera in each direction not average speed system. Drivers will only slow down if they really have to.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

darkcape wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 21:23 My current scheme is catching about 500 people a day with an AADT of 44,500. Although this is single camera in each direction not average speed system. Drivers will only slow down if they really have to.
That's what happens with spot-speed cameras as opposed to average speed ones.

Are both cameras live? Odd if they are, in my experience the police only want one live camera for spot-speed kit, they claim it's a pain to have to process more. Obviously all other camera housings at the site should have dummy flash units to encourage compliance.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Lockwood

Post by Lockwood »

CrazyInWeston wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 23:25 1. Do you do go 50 mph at the first sign OR do you slow down JUST before the very first of those yellow average speed cameras?
I tend to ease off in advance of the sign so that I am doing the speed limit from the sign.
CrazyInWeston

Post by CrazyInWeston »

Truvelo wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 21:05 Even 15 a day is high given the general knowledge surrounding the cameras and how they work. Most satnavs with camera warnings these days now show your average speed within a Specs system so if you've booted it to overtake some dawdlers you know how much to ease off before reaching the next camera.
I know that there is a TomTom speed app that does that very thing during roadworks, Its not a navigational app, its an app that tells you the speed limit of the road you're on at any given time, however if its database knows of average speed camera locations, it will show you your average speed for the duration of the event.
Piatkow

Post by Piatkow »

Micro The Maniac wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 16:07
Because I am mostly a good boy, I anticipate, and slow down (by easing off, not braking) as I pass the sign...
Same here, ideally I aim to be "legal" by the time I reach the camera without touching the brake. When I reach the desired cruising speed I switch on the limiter, sit back, and concentrate on the traffic rather than the speed.
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

I tend to work on the basis that the presence of a camera system further down the road doesn’t mean that an unmarked police car won’t be interested in someone driving 20mph over the limit before then.

If you must drive to the cameras rather than to the speed limits, remember that if a speed camera of any sort is facing you and it isn’t a drogue, it will probably see you before you see it.