Keep it flat

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Conekicker

Re: Keep it flat

Post by Conekicker »

110ffr wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 15:00
Conekicker wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 19:16 Oh dear.
A curved STOP sign.
How very unlawful.
Someone really should know better.
And just shy of £96k, what a "wise" expenditure of the public purse?

https://www.highwaysindustry.com/highwa ... e-barrier/

Edit: if it's installed near street lighting the STOP sign also needs to be illuminated by internal or external lighting. How will that legal requirement be met? TSRGD 2016 S9-8-7 refers.
...not to mention the fact that "STOP" signs may only be placed at a junction where visibility is so restricted that it is essential for drivers to stop before entering the major road. Chapter 3 also recommends consultation with the Police for their support on enforcement. In fact prior to the 2016 TSRGD, DfT approval was required before the sign could be installed (although i strongly suspect that several "STOP" signs local to me were installed without that little nicety :wink: ) . Doubtless this example was added by someone who thumbed through the regs and found a sign that "looked about right"

Leaving aside the "STOP" sign, it looks as if this inflatable "thing" is anchored purely by a few traffic cones. There must be a massive risk that in the event of a car hitting it (or in high winds), it would break away from its moorings and go bouncing off into the live traffic lanes, causing all sorts of mayhem as it went its merry way. I wonder if any actual crash tests have been carried out?
...and the sign may only be placed if the stop line road marking and "STOP" road marking are also placed.

Time for this to be nipped in the bud. As unpopular as that might be with the contractor who is pushing this nonsense and the HE innovation crowd. I can hear the bleating now, "But it's safer!" Prove it.

They can't even replace the STOP sign with another sign, such as a 616 or a S13-9 "ROAD CLOSED" as they must also be flat and not curved.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
110ffr

Post by 110ffr »

Conekicker wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 21:14
110ffr wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 15:00
Conekicker wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 19:16 Oh dear.
A curved STOP sign.
How very unlawful.
Someone really should know better.
And just shy of £96k, what a "wise" expenditure of the public purse?

https://www.highwaysindustry.com/highwa ... e-barrier/

Edit: if it's installed near street lighting the STOP sign also needs to be illuminated by internal or external lighting. How will that legal requirement be met? TSRGD 2016 S9-8-7 refers.
...not to mention the fact that "STOP" signs may only be placed at a junction where visibility is so restricted that it is essential for drivers to stop before entering the major road. Chapter 3 also recommends consultation with the Police for their support on enforcement. In fact prior to the 2016 TSRGD, DfT approval was required before the sign could be installed (although i strongly suspect that several "STOP" signs local to me were installed without that little nicety :wink: ) . Doubtless this example was added by someone who thumbed through the regs and found a sign that "looked about right"

Leaving aside the "STOP" sign, it looks as if this inflatable "thing" is anchored purely by a few traffic cones. There must be a massive risk that in the event of a car hitting it (or in high winds), it would break away from its moorings and go bouncing off into the live traffic lanes, causing all sorts of mayhem as it went its merry way. I wonder if any actual crash tests have been carried out?
...and the sign may only be placed if the stop line road marking and "STOP" road marking are also placed.

Time for this to be nipped in the bud. As unpopular as that might be with the contractor who is pushing this nonsense and the HE innovation crowd. I can hear the bleating now, "But it's safer!" Prove it.

They can't even replace the STOP sign with another sign, such as a 616 or a S13-9 "ROAD CLOSED" as they must also be flat and not curved.
No need for any sign at all really - the inflatable is doing what a vehicle mounted crash cushion does (you know, the ones that are tried and tested, and can be deployed much quicker etc), and they don't have any signs on them at all.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

IPVs do have signs on them but I see what you mean. The only slight problem with parking an IPV to block a slip road is that they're a very expensive piece of kit to be stood idle for 5 or 6 hours of a shift. If a vehicle must be used, far cheaper to use a basic van or pick-up.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.