Dangerous Temporary Lights

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Andy33gmail

Dangerous Temporary Lights

Post by Andy33gmail »

Red traffic light immediately after a level crossing:

https://www.elystandard.co.uk/news/inqu ... -1-6868086

You’d have to be a bit thick to stop on the crossing, but there’s potential there, especially if they go amber at the wrong time.

I’m more curious as to how they could have done it correctly - I guess a one-way system or closure would be required? I know permanent lights can be interlinked with crossings, but I suspect not temporary ones
jervi

Re: Dangerous Temporary Lights

Post by jervi »

It's not that bad, as we can see no "wait HERE when lights show red" or whatever the wording is, I'd presume it to be inline with the level crossing stop line, just out of photo (probs on purpose).

It's just a case of using common sense.
1. Don't stop on the level crossing
2. If you have a green light and vehicles are waiting the otherside of the crossing (cause they had green then had to wait for the level crossing), then let those vehicles past before continuing.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Did the highway authority choose their maintenance contractor just on the basis of the lowest bidder ? And the contractor choose their subcontractor just on the same basis ?

I do get fed up when the responsible contractor, Skanska in this case, trots out the corporate autospeak of "Health & Safety are our top priority", as quoted. When quite clearly it has not been.
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

Andy33gmail wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 01:16I’m more curious as to how they could have done it correctly - I guess a one-way system or closure would be required?
I believe a manual system, i.e. stop/go signs. There's a whole section on it in TSM Chapter 8, D5.17 (Page 148 onwards)
TSM Chapter 8, D5.17.7 wrote: • traffic control by means of “STOP/GO” sign boards – “STOP/GO” should be used at works that
straddle a level crossing, or within 50 m of the level crossing stop line where the level crossing is
equipped with twin red flashing traffic signals; and
• traffic controlled by means of portable signals – under no circumstances should portable traffic
light signals be used at works within 50 m of the level crossing stop line; even with works at 50 m
or more from the level crossing, if it is considered that road traffic may block back to the level
crossing, the traffic control should be by means of “STOP/GO” boards.
There is a clause for using portable signals if the work is being carried out on the level crossing itself, though, but also requires manual control.
Simon
Andy33gmail

Post by Andy33gmail »

jervi wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:26 It's not that bad, as we can see no "wait HERE when lights show red" or whatever the wording is, I'd presume it to be inline with the level crossing stop line, just out of photo (probs on purpose).

2. If you have a green light and vehicles are waiting the otherside of the crossing (cause they had green then had to wait for the level crossing), then let those vehicles past before continuing.
The problem with this viewpoint, is it assumes drivers are competent
jervi

Post by jervi »

Andy33gmail wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 13:28
jervi wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:26 It's not that bad, as we can see no "wait HERE when lights show red" or whatever the wording is, I'd presume it to be inline with the level crossing stop line, just out of photo (probs on purpose).

If a driver isn't competent then they shouldn't be on the road.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

jervi wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:11

Really? Go and stand at the side of just about any road for an hour or two. But don't stand too close.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Andy33gmail

Post by Andy33gmail »

Conekicker wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:44
jervi wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:11

Really? Go and stand at the side of just about any road for an hour or two. But don't stand too close.
You have to cater for the lowest common denominator.

Someone could legally be just under the drink drive limit, have been up for 48 hours, have only just passed their test, be distracted by a car full of mates, have eye sight that’s only just legal ... before you consider lawbreaking maniacs like me who allegedly did 84mph on motorway :-)

The reality is that someone could panic, stop at the light, panic again, take too long to think about reversing, barrier comes down, by then a car’s coming the other way ... you only have about 30 seconds to work it out