Are Route Confirmation Signs being installed/replaced?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Rillington

Are Route Confirmation Signs being installed/replaced?

Post by Rillington »

I was wondering if Route Confirmation Signs are still being installed on roads other than major A-roads and motorways, and similarly if RCSs which have been damaged/knocked over are being replaced.
agc2070

Re: Are Route Confirmation Signs being installed/replaced?

Post by agc2070 »

I have wondered this too. I often report missing road signs and so far no RC sign I’ve reported missing has been replaced, even on major A roads.
thatapanydude

Post by thatapanydude »

Likewise, I have asked HE twice to look at adding the lost RCS on the A1(M) NB at j9 and both times it has been a no.

The A1(M) in particular is bad for a lack of RCS, j14 to j17 has only 2 one SB at P'boro (in which the mileages are all wrong) and NB at Brampton. Likewise, further south in Herts a real lack RCS in the Hatfield area.
A1/A1(M) >>> M1
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Checking the mileages are correct is too hard a task for supposed sign professionals in many offices up and down the land.

On those rare events I still get to do a junction scheme I will usually try to include these if the red line boundary covers it.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

Thank you for the replies.

As time goes by, it seems as though there are fewer and fewer RCSs as ones which get knocked down/damaged don't seem to be being replaced and as has been said, the authorities seem to be in no hurry to replace them or to add new ones to new roads such as on the expanded A555 where it looks like that just one has been installed.

That said, I did notice from watching videos on Youtube of the recently opened Aberdeen bypass that there are a full set of RCSs so maybe the attitude towards them in Scotland is more favourable than it is in England.
Lockwood

Post by Lockwood »

I remember seeing some that had been storm battered. Still on the poles, but slid down like an old venetian blind.

Took a while but that got either fixed or replaced. It just made the road look neglected
jervi

Post by jervi »

In West Sussex there is only the rare RCS, excluding the A23/A24/A27 you would be very hard come by to find one.
On new road schemes, I can't find any, even on A roads including primary routes.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Rillington wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 15:57 Thank you for the replies.

As time goes by, it seems as though there are fewer and fewer RCSs as ones which get knocked down/damaged don't seem to be being replaced and as has been said, the authorities seem to be in no hurry to replace them or to add new ones to new roads such as on the expanded A555 where it looks like that just one has been installed.

That said, I did notice from watching videos on Youtube of the recently opened Aberdeen bypass that there are a full set of RCSs so maybe the attitude towards them in Scotland is more favourable than it is in England.
Maybe it is a sign of the times (see what i did there) as funds are probably limited at the minute. Where i live, any sign that has fallen over or knocked over hasn't been replaced full stop. Thats from my observations over the last few years anyway. There is even a mini roundabout sign that has been missing for the last 5 years since it was knocked over which i find pretty poor TBH.
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Bucking the trend is the A130/A131 junction near Chelmsford, which was 'improved' earlier this year, and they have installed one that wasn't previously there - 'Chelmsford 6', whilst the old one on the A131 that just had 'Sudbury 20', now also has 'Braintree 7' and 'A120, Stansted ??'.
agc2070

Post by agc2070 »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 08:14 Checking the mileages are correct is too hard a task for supposed sign professionals in many offices up and down the land.
It’s a true story. The distance between the Channel Tunnel and Folkestone on RC signs always amuses me.
ManomayLR
Assistant Site Manager

Post by ManomayLR »

This thread has been moved to Street Furniture
Though roads may not put a smile on everyone's face, there is one road that always will: the road to home.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Rillington wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 15:57 That said, I did notice from watching videos on Youtube of the recently opened Aberdeen bypass that there are a full set of RCSs so maybe the attitude towards them in Scotland is more favourable than it is in England.
What may be provisioned for a major new trunk road scheme will likely be different to what a local council chooses to provision, particularly as council budgets have been hit hard in the past decade or so.
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

Indeed, and I one reason why RCSs are rarely installed and rarely replaced is likely to be due to budget cuts.
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

A505 as RCS go a bit pointless (IMHO) but installed the time the road was renumbered as part of the Baldock bypass scheme.
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
Brenley Corner

Post by Brenley Corner »

This RCS on the M2 was very recently replaced after it fell to bits and disappeared; it took a fairly long time though

Tony
Brenley Corner: congesting traffic since 1963; discussing roads since 2002
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

Runwell wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 22:16 Bucking the trend is the A130/A131 junction near Chelmsford, which was 'improved' earlier this year, and they have installed one that wasn't previously there - 'Chelmsford 6', whilst the old one on the A131 that just had 'Sudbury 20', now also has 'Braintree 7' and 'A120, Stansted ??'.
All part of the Esssex policy to route through traffic via the A131 and to discourage traffic through Ford End and Barnston.
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

One issue with the improvements though is Felsted is now signed from the Sheepcotes Roundabout (A130/A131), despite Dunmow being signed all the way from Springfield. Surely a mistake?
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

Brenley Corner wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:24 This RCS on the M2 was very recently replaced after it fell to bits and disappeared; it took a fairly long time though

Tony
That's good. Hopefully more will be replaced in the future.
Gareth Thomas

Post by Gareth Thomas »

Brenley Corner wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:24 This RCS on the M2 was very recently replaced after it fell to bits and disappeared; it took a fairly long time though

Tony
Was it a direct like for like replacement, or did they (shhhh!) add other destinations like the M25, Sheerness or Rochester onto it?
My journey with testicular cancer!
https://garethishalfnuts.wordpress.com/

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."
-Dr Emmett Brown
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

It only struck me while walking past recently, but there's one listing 'A580 (A5049)' with destinations as far afield as 'Birmingham (101)' on New Islington in Liverpool that was recently relocated and replaced as part of a junction refurbishment. I can't think of very many other RCSes (if any) within the city boundary, so it's likely this one was done on a like-for-like because it needed to be moved to make way for a shared use footway.
Simon