Checkerboard Target on Speed Cameras

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Danny1962

Checkerboard Target on Speed Cameras

Post by Danny1962 »

Recently, the two speed cameras on New Road Avenue in Rochester have been given a sticker with a black and white checkerboard pattern. It is around 15cm square, has a white square and a black square on the top row, then a black square and a white square on the bottom row.

The placing is not consistent, in one case the sticker is on the side of the mounting post that faces the road, and in the other case it is on both front and rear of the post.

What are these stickers for? A quick Google search for "non removable checkerboard target" reveals that they are sold online, and intended to be scanned. But why?

Photos here
Attachments
Speed Camera with Checkerboard Target 3.png
Speed Camera with Checkerboard Target 2.png
Speed Camera with Checkerboard Target 1.png
Pilgrim Dan

Re: Checkerboard Target on Speed Cameras

Post by Pilgrim Dan »

Black and white checkerboard targets are usually to do with surveying.
Merge posts in turn
Danny1962

Post by Danny1962 »

Ah-haaa! So if they are surveying aids does this mean that the camera posts just happened to be a convenient mount for the stickers? And so the stickers have nothing meaningful to do with the camera.

I'd have thought that no matter how noble the cause, you'd need police permission to put stickers onto the camera posts?
Britain

Post by Britain »

Danny1962 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 20:28 Ah-haaa! So if they are surveying aids does this mean that the camera posts just happened to be a convenient mount for the stickers? And so the stickers have nothing meaningful to do with the camera.

I'd have thought that no matter how noble the cause, you'd need police permission to put stickers onto the camera posts?
You could email or ring the local council or highways authority and ask the question. It'll do no harm if you're curious.
I'm nobody special, just somebody who enjoys looking at and talking about infrastructure. Eager to learn as much as I can about the roads of the UK 🇬🇧 - please help me with this.
tom66

Post by tom66 »

My guess is to aid surveying between the 'offence point' which is usually marked on the road, and the camera itself. I don't know how some of these newer cameras work, but some don't require speed markings any more and can make use of existing road furniture or lines on the road.