Strange "No Parking" signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Rambo

Re: Strange "No Parking" signs

Post by Rambo »

Bomag

Post by Bomag »

Britain wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 05:55
jervi wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 23:21 NGL, I didn't know it was an offence to park where there is a solid line (makes sense though), surly this doesn't apply if you are parked beyond the edge of carriageway line, for example on the footway / verge.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.99908 ... 312!8i6656 , I wonder how enforceable these are.
There are commonly vans parked along a solid centre line road I travel on often.
Example 1
Example 2

In example 2, I wonder if you could still get done for parking there considering the centre line isn't actually solid to allow a turn lane.
The road marking at the junction are not lawful in any event. Dia 1013.1B must have the hatching meeting the longitudinal lines. What is there is a Dia 1040 marking with solid edges which is not prescribed.
tom66

Post by tom66 »

Rambo wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 15:24 This thread made me think of this https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3311676 ... 312!8i6656
"No Parking" but let's just stick a bus stop here so for drivers who do have to accelerate, they may have to negotiate with a local bus.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Keiji wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 18:08
Vierwielen wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 15:00 I don't speak English, but I understand a letter "P" with a line through it.
You don't need to speak English to understand double yellows either, which I suggested in the OP, rather than creating a (different) non-prescribed sign.
Double yellow lines to indicate no parking are are peculiar to the UK (and some of its former colonies). (See Wikipedia). So, while you do not need to speak English to understand double yellow lines, they would be unfamiliar to anybody who comes from a country where English is not spoken (and also some countries such as South Africa where English is spoken).
Britain

Post by Britain »

Rambo wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 15:24 This thread made me think of this https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3311676 ... 312!8i6656
And now you've reminded me of this 'deceleration lane - no waiting' sign. There is also this interesting 'no left turn' sign a bit further up.
I'm nobody special, just somebody who enjoys looking at and talking about infrastructure. Eager to learn as much as I can about the roads of the UK 🇬🇧 - please help me with this.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Britain wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 05:55
jervi wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 23:21 NGL, I didn't know it was an offence to park where there is a solid line (makes sense though), surly this doesn't apply if you are parked beyond the edge of carriageway line, for example on the footway / verge.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.99908 ... 312!8i6656 , I wonder how enforceable these are.
There are commonly vans parked along a solid centre line road I travel on often.
Example 1
Example 2

In example 2, I wonder if you could still get done for parking there considering the centre line isn't actually solid to allow a turn lane.
Example 1 is an offence. 2 isn't an offence.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

Conekicker wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 22:06
Britain wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 05:55 There are commonly vans parked along a solid centre line road I travel on often.
Example 1
Example 2

Example 1 is an offence. 2 isn't an offence.
Example 2 is an offence: obstructing the pavement.
Let it snow.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Alderpoint wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 09:14Example 2 is an offence: obstructing the pavement.
It’s also an example of something done all too often, which is parking a vehicle entirely on the pavement when traffic would still have been able to get past if it had stayed on the road.
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

Chris5156 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 09:40
Alderpoint wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 09:14Example 2 is an offence: obstructing the pavement.
It’s also an example of something done all too often, which is parking a vehicle entirely on the pavement when traffic would still have been able to get past if it had stayed on the road.
Ain't that the truth! I recently came across a car parked fully on the pavement/cycle path on a bog-standard S2 in a 50 km/h limit. The car was entirely blocking the pavement, meaning anyone, even able-bodied and on foot, had to walk in the road. If the vehicle had been wholly on the road, it would have blocked one lane of the S2, but the combination of visibility, the speed limit and typical traffic levels would not have made it specially onerous or hazardous for traffic to use the other side of the road to pass it.

I posted a photo of the offending vehicle on the local Facebook group and the reactions I got were interesting. They were about equally divided between people saying more or less what I said, that such behaviour is selfish and unacceptable, and people who came out with various potential excuses (might have broken down, might have been an emergency) and that one shouldn't hang people out to dry if you don't know. My point was precisely what you say - that it doesn't matter what the person's reason was for stopping there, since even if it was absolutely unavoidable, it could have been done in a less obstructive fashion by leaving the vehicle on the road, or with two wheels on the pavement (technically illegal, but in this case it would still leave plenty of room for wheelchair users, cyclists etc.).

The perpetrator was, as I expected, a local and also a member of the group, and they actually had a reasonable attitude afterwards and admitted they hadn't really thought it through. But I really don't understand the gut reaction that leads to people thinking it's a heinous crime to block even a small part of a car lane on a road, but it's perfectly OK to render the pavement and/or cycle path completely unusable. The council do this as well when they choose where to park their vehicles while cutting vegetation or emptying litter bins.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

FosseWay wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:45But I really don't understand the gut reaction that leads to people thinking it's a heinous crime to block even a small part of a car lane on a road, but it's perfectly OK to render the pavement and/or cycle path completely unusable. The council do this as well when they choose where to park their vehicles while cutting vegetation or emptying litter bins.
Exactly my feeling. The idea that blocking the road even in part is deeply socially unacceptable has astonishingly wide acceptance.