Newly fitted SON street lights

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

AlexBr967

Newly fitted SON street lights

Post by AlexBr967 »

I was on a bike ride and thought I'd have a look around a brand new housing they are building (literally started building this year) and I noticed something strange. They had put up street lights but strangely they were WRTL Arcs. The units appear almost like they're second hand. They already have fogged and dirty bowls. I will investigate at night to see if they are fitted with SON bulbs or not. Are they temporary perhaps untill they order some LED lanterns in? Pic: https://photos.app.goo.gl/bQhVMUxue3eYh3T47
Truvelo

Re: Newly fitted SON street lights

Post by Truvelo »

There's a housing estate near me which was started around three years ago and has SON lighting. The newest roads are LED though.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
liamf656

Re: Newly fitted SON street lights

Post by liamf656 »

Until recently we’ve been lucky in Nottinghamshire as far as street lighting enthusiasts (just me?) are concerned.
The county council were still installing Philips and Thorn SOX lanterns as casual replacements as late as 2012, Thorn Alpha 8s (SON) until 2012, and WRTL MRL6s (SON) until 2015.
As of 2018 all SOX lighting had been replaced by LED and now that’s complete SON is also on its way out

The city council were also using SOX as casual replacements as late as 2012 but a PFI scheme from 2011 to 2017 covered the city in Philips Iridium (SON) lanterns with some LEDs in certain areas. They still use Iridiums in 2020 as casual replacements

Highways England are still using SON as casual replacements in 2020 with Iridiums and Urbis Evolos being favourable