Good Signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

the cheesecake man

Good Signs

Post by the cheesecake man »

:idea: For my 1,000th post (wahey :beer: ) ( :rolleyes: yes I impress myself far too easily) I thought I'd start a nice positive thread :shock: for a change. Don't worry, it won't catch on.

Are there any road signs that you think are notably good in some way?

I'll start with this one in Broomhill. Elsewhere Snake Pass is signed only as Glossop with signs to Manchester directing you to Woodhead Pass. This is the exception that proves the rule. I'd like to think some common sense crept in and whoever designed it realised that as this is Manchester Road it would be a bit silly pretending it doesn't go there.

Similarly in Glossop while the appendage of "via Snake Pass" and "via Woodhead" probably doesn't comply with detailed design rules it shows the designer understanding the context and making it useful:
  • it accepts where the road goes where through Mottram and Holllingworth Sheffield signs direct you only to Woodhead
  • it warns you what's coming
  • if your destination isn't across the Pennines it should prompt you not to continue in that direction
  • if you aren't sure where your destination is in relation to the three places named it makes it clear which roads will take you over the Pennines or not
Bfivethousand

Re: Good Signs

Post by Bfivethousand »

I tried this a couple of years back, it fizzled out within a couple of days.
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=38774&hilit=unbotched
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
the cheesecake man

Bfivethousand wrote: ↑Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:54 I tried this a couple of years back, it fizzled out within a couple of days.
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=38774&hilit=unbotched
Well remembered. I searched for "good sign" but obviously that thread didn't turn up. :facepalm:

I wasn't expecting many replies. I was suffering from an outbreak of optimism. I won't let it happen again. :paperbag:
Britain

Post by Britain »

the cheesecake man wrote: ↑Fri Nov 27, 2020 13:20 :idea: For my 1,000th post (wahey :beer: ) ( :rolleyes: yes I impress myself far too easily) I thought I'd start a nice positive thread :shock: for a change. Don't worry, it won't catch on.
Not yet anyway! Sorry, I don't have any examples myself.
I'm nobody special, just somebody who enjoys looking at and talking about infrastructure. Eager to learn as much as I can about the roads of the UK πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ - please help me with this.
the cheesecake man

How about this one?

The bends are drawn too literally and I doubt the wavy lines are prescribed, but with turnings very close together and a long detour facing anyone who ends up on the wrong side of the sparsely-bridged River Trent I think it's a neat way of providing useful information.
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

the cheesecake man wrote: ↑Fri Nov 27, 2020 13:20
Similarly in Glossop while the appendage of "via Snake Pass" and "via Woodhead" probably doesn't comply with detailed design rules it shows the designer understanding the context and making it useful:
  • it accepts where the road goes where through Mottram and Holllingworth Sheffield signs direct you only to Woodhead
  • if your destination isn't across the Pennines it should prompt you not to continue in that direction
  • if you aren't sure where your destination is in relation to the three places named it makes it clear which roads will take you over the Pennines or not
I would agree the inclusion of the roads' common names is very useful at that spot. Unfortunately, what it doesn't tell you is taking the B6105 presents you with an awful right turn onto the A628, the lack of visibility from the left being the major issue. I made this mistake one Saturday lunchtime when, after finishing a shift at Hadfield, I had some (now forgotten) reason to make a stop in Halifax and decided the route over Holme Moss would make a nice change - never again!
avtur

Post by avtur »

FleetlinePhil wrote: ↑Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:46
I would agree the inclusion of the roads' common names is very useful at that spot. Unfortunately, what it doesn't tell you is taking the B6105 presents you with an awful right turn onto the A628, the lack of visibility from the left being the major issue. I made this mistake one Saturday lunchtime when, after finishing a shift at Hadfield, I had some (now forgotten) reason to make a stop in Halifax and decided the route over Holme Moss would make a nice change - never again!
Having been a Hadfield resident for some years I have used this junction on many, many occasions, you certainly need your wits about you but it never caused me to change my route. One of the biggest problems is that if someone is a little apprehensive they will take longer to find a safe gap, the worst that can then happen is that they feel pressurised and make poor judgements.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

If the Snake is shut, apart from doing a U-turn, going back to Manchester and trying the M62, what realistic option - that doesn't take you miles out of your way - do you have where the sign in Glossop is though?
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

Conekicker wrote: ↑Tue Jan 05, 2021 20:19
If the Snake is shut, apart from doing a U-turn, going back to Manchester and trying the M62, what realistic option - that doesn't take you miles out of your way - do you have where the sign in Glossop is though?
From Glossop, going via Hadfield and turning onto the A628 at Tintwistle would be an acceptable diversion to me. My colleague at Hadfield had in fact suggested going via Tintwistle, I just fancied having a look at the B6105.

From memory (2007!) I thought there were warning signs of the status of the two roads before Hollingworth? I don't seem to be able to spot it on GSV though.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

FleetlinePhil wrote: ↑Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:13

From Glossop, going via Hadfield and turning onto the A628 at Tintwistle would be an acceptable diversion to me. My colleague at Hadfield had in fact suggested going via Tintwistle, I just fancied having a look at the B6105.

From memory (2007!) I thought there were warning signs of the status of the two roads before Hollingworth? I don't seem to be able to spot it on GSV though.
The old yellow closure sign was removed a good few years ago.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

Bryn666 wrote: ↑Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:47
Conekicker wrote: ↑Tue Jan 05, 2021 20:19 If the Snake is shut, apart from doing a U-turn, going back to Manchester and trying the M62, what realistic option - that doesn't take you miles out of your way - do you have where the sign in Glossop is though?

Thanks. Er...why, one might reasonably ask?
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

FleetlinePhil wrote: ↑Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:09

Reliance on the MS3s on the M67 I think. Plus it was a manually operated sign so needed someone to go out and swtich the sign to say "CLOSED", meaning a load of risk assessments and traffic management for a simple task.

I think Tameside have their own VMS they can switch on as well on other roads approaching?
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
the cheesecake man

FleetlinePhil wrote: ↑Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:46 I would agree the inclusion of the roads' common names is very useful at that spot. Unfortunately, what it doesn't tell you is taking the B6105 presents you with an awful right turn onto the A628, the lack of visibility from the left being the major issue. I made this mistake one Saturday lunchtime when, after finishing a shift at Hadfield, I had some (now forgotten) reason to make a stop in Halifax and decided the route over Holme Moss would make a nice change - never again!
That right turn is truly awful. The first time I had to avoid Snake I went that way. Never again. Subsequent occasions I've gone via Chapel en le Frith.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

There's this in Tintwistle, although the latest image is a bit different

The closure point is at Val's Cafe where the snow gates and a decent U-turn facility are located.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
the cheesecake man

FleetlinePhil wrote: ↑Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:09
Disuse? When I was a lad there was a similar yellow closure sign on the A625 (now A6187) through the Hope Valley listing A623 Tideswell Moor, A625 Mam Tor (always closed obviously) and A57 Snake Pass.
the cheesecake man

This sign outside Hillsborough is very good. :thumbsup: As you pass it in the morning it tells you if there's a match on so you can take a different route when you return.
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

Most clubs have one. Some are decidedly peculiar though.

According to an online football database, and contrary to what was actually on display, Wrexham were actually playing Dagenham and Redbridge that day :shock:
TS

Post by TS »

the cheesecake man wrote: ↑Mon Jan 04, 2021 23:38 How about this one?

The bends are drawn too literally and I doubt the wavy lines are prescribed, but with turnings very close together and a long detour facing anyone who ends up on the wrong side of the sparsely-bridged River Trent I think it's a neat way of providing useful information.
I find this an interesting sign, if only for the fact that it is not orientated with the driver moving initially upwards from the bottom of the sign.

I agree it's usefully illustrative, but I would have expected to see the road layout rotated by a little over 45Β°, although that would probably uglify the alignment of the words somewhat.
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

Alternative design, the layout can be displayed fairly clearly, without the need to resort to unlawful wavy lines or wonky approach arms.
Last edited by Bfivethousand on Thu Dec 16, 2021 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Bfivethousand wrote: ↑Tue Dec 14, 2021 21:42 Alternative design, the layout can be displayed fairly clearly, without the need to resort to unlawful wavy lines or wonky approach arms.
That file can't be accessed - you might need to make it public.