Rochester way relief road lighting

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris77

Rochester way relief road lighting

Post by Chris77 »

Hi can anyone explain whats going on with the street lighting on A2 Rochester way relief road in SE london. The lights have been off for probably what seems like a couple of years now. Many of the lamp columns in central reservation have also been cut off approx 1m above ground level. Any ideas why? And anyone know of a plan to reinstate?
DB617

Re: Rochester way relief road lighting

Post by DB617 »

Chris77 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 16:41 Hi can anyone explain whats going on with the street lighting on A2 Rochester way relief road in SE london. The lights have been off for probably what seems like a couple of years now. Many of the lamp columns in central reservation have also been cut off approx 1m above ground level. Any ideas why? And anyone know of a plan to reinstate?
Similar case on the M4 Port Talbot bypass. IIRC the columns were deemed structurally unsafe and roughly chopped under a night closure simply for the purpose of expediency.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Chris77 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 16:41Hi can anyone explain whats going on with the street lighting on A2 Rochester way relief road in SE london. The lights have been off for probably what seems like a couple of years now. Many of the lamp columns in central reservation have also been cut off approx 1m above ground level. Any ideas why? And anyone know of a plan to reinstate?
I expect they reached the end of their useful life (the ones through Eltham, at least, were original to the road so would now be about 35 years old) and have been taken down. TfL operate that road and don't consider it necessary to light dual carriageways without building frontages, so I expect they will come back and tidy up the remaining column stumps at some point, and that will be that.

The same happened on the Westway about ten years ago, when the lighting was life expired. It came down and the road is now unlit.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris5156 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 14:21
Chris77 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 16:41Hi can anyone explain whats going on with the street lighting on A2 Rochester way relief road in SE london. The lights have been off for probably what seems like a couple of years now. Many of the lamp columns in central reservation have also been cut off approx 1m above ground level. Any ideas why? And anyone know of a plan to reinstate?
I expect they reached the end of their useful life (the ones through Eltham, at least, were original to the road so would now be about 35 years old) and have been taken down. TfL operate that road and don't consider it necessary to light dual carriageways without building frontages, so I expect they will come back and tidy up the remaining column stumps at some point, and that will be that.

The same happened on the Westway about ten years ago, when the lighting was life expired. It came down and the road is now unlit.
The columns on Rochester Way were original too, albeit with height extensions dating to the 90s. I suspect they are corroded beyond repair and have had to be lopped down for this reason. Unlike the Westway, the A2 is a road that warrants lighting by virtue of all the bus stops and tight junctions.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Chris77

Post by Chris77 »

Chris5156 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 14:21

Its just the stretch between Reifield Road and Eltham station is a complete random mess. Some lights still work, some columns hacked down, some columns remain stood but switched off. I think its been like it for a few years now. Just wondering if the were any plans to finish the job and remove them all or replace them.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Chris77 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 05:42Its just the stretch between Reifield Road and Eltham station is a complete random mess. Some lights still work, some columns hacked down, some columns remain stood but switched off. I think its been like it for a few years now. Just wondering if the were any plans to finish the job and remove them all or replace them.
Hard to say. TfL's policy on highway maintenance and the state of its finances mean that, if the situation isn't actually dangerous, they're probably content to just leave it as it is. There will be the intention to tidy it up but it may well be at the bottom of a long list of other jobs waiting for funding.
Scratchwood

Post by Scratchwood »

I'm wondering if it's a deliberate TFL policy to remove street lighting from certain major roads, whether to save money/energy or to reduce light pollution for residents or wildlife.

That section of the A2 goes past Eltham Park and Sherpherdleas Wood, so maybe it's to help nocturnal creatures like bats?

The street lights have also been removed from the A12 East Cross Route between Bow and Hackney Wick
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

There's not really much point having lighting on roads where there are no pedestrians.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.