Nonstandard speed limit signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Having a cuppa

Nonstandard speed limit signs

Post by Having a cuppa »

I recall seeing a 16 mph Worboys speed limit sign in an official document a while back and today I stumbled along this picture: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/444-Road-Sig ... 2280400906

It doesn't appear to be official but it also has a 16 mph speed limit sign. In my experience, speed limit signs in multiples of tens are the most common as well as 5 and 15. I have also seen pictures of rare 25, 35, AND 12 mph speed limit signs in the U.K. (not in Jersey or Guernsey where they are common). I tried searching for the old document I saw with the 16 mph speed limit sign, but despite my earnest efforts, couldn't find it.

Considering there is a 16 mph Worboys sign in the booklet from eBay, as well as the old document I mentioned, were there ever any 16 mph signs in existence?
Last edited by Having a cuppa on Sun Jan 24, 2021 22:28, edited 2 times in total.
My car gets 90 leagues to the firkin and that's the way I like it!
Isleworth1961

Re: 16 mph sign

Post by Isleworth1961 »

It's not 'official' as you put it - they are just sheets of 1:76 (or 4mm/foot) scale road signs for use on model railways!
Having a cuppa

Post by Having a cuppa »

Isleworth1961 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 21:57 It's not 'official' as you put it - they are just sheets of 1:76 (or 4mm/foot) scale road signs for use on model railways!
Definitely going to have a train going around a mini roundabout or to the A&E.

The point is this picture just sparked up my mind and left me wondering the possibility of a 16 mph speed limit sign.
Isleworth1961

Post by Isleworth1961 »

Having a cuppa wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 22:10
Isleworth1961 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 21:57 It's not 'official' as you put it - they are just sheets of 1:76 (or 4mm/foot) scale road signs for use on model railways!
Scenic model railways don't just consist of trains, which is why the seller, The Island Railway Shop, stocks things other than trains!
Piatkow

Post by Piatkow »

Isleworth1961 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 22:18
Scenic model railways don't just consist of trains, which is why the seller, The Island Railway Shop, stocks things other than trains!
Loved the model rubbish so that you can even have realistic fly tipping in your model.
the cheesecake man

Re: Nonstandard speed limit signs

Post by the cheesecake man »

Having a cuppa wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 21:49 Considering there is a 16 mph Worboys sign in the booklet from eBay, as well as the old document I mentioned, were there ever any 16 mph signs in existence?
I've never seen 16 but if 29 exists I don't see why 16 couldn't.
Piatkow wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 15:25 Loved the model rubbish so that you can even have realistic fly tipping in your model.
And you can get freight wagons complete with graffiti!
Having a cuppa

Post by Having a cuppa »

the cheesecake man wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 21:52
Having a cuppa wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 21:49 Considering there is a 16 mph Worboys sign in the booklet from eBay, as well as the old document I mentioned, were there ever any 16 mph signs in existence?
I've never seen 16 but if 29 exists I don't see why 16 couldn't.

The typeface on the 29 mph sign appears to be Helvetica or Ariel, not Transport as prescribed in the regulations.

However as stated in my original post, 12 mph signs with the correct design and typeface have been found on British roads, so who knows if there are any other odd speed limit signs?

Example: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.49481 ... 312!8i6656
Isleworth1961

Post by Isleworth1961 »

The 29 mph limit on Kelsterton Road is on a road privately owned by E.ON electricity (there are signs close by on E.ON land close to road), the 12 mph on Unity Way is on a road owned by the Port of London Authority (there is a sign on a wall by the speed limit sign). The 'odd' speed is the clue that the road is privately owned.
stevenson3529

Post by stevenson3529 »

On Kewstoke Road, Weston-super-Mare (DON'T CAPITALISE THE S!!) there are still 25 mph signs, the road has always been owned by North Somerset Council, however when tolls were collected, by the Parks department so they could lease out the toll. But, I think since around 2010ish, when tolls stopped being collected, the Highways department are now in control and made some safety improvements following a string of accidents (there's still a warning). There are also repeaters and the terminal signs near Worlebury Fort where the former toll road ends and the limit is 30 again.
Isleworth1961

Post by Isleworth1961 »

stevenson3529 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:05 On Kewstoke Road, Weston-super-Mare (DON'T CAPITALISE THE S!!) there are still 25 mph signs, the road has always been owned by North Somerset Council, however when tolls were collected, by the Parks department so they could lease out the toll. But, I think since around 2010ish, when tolls stopped being collected, the Highways department are now in control and made some safety improvements following a string of accidents (there's still a warning). There are also repeaters and the terminal signs near Worlebury Fort where the former toll road ends and the limit is 30 again.
Having looked at the first streetview image, I realise that the sign is right outside a former work colleague's house! Regarding the 'accidents', some 20 years or so ago, my colleague's wife managed to drive her car off the road, ending up on the rocks yards below. How she survived is amazing, as it was an open Eunos Roadster (Mazda MX5 in the UK), and the car flipped on going over the edge but ended up upright. Fortunately the tide was out, but she was there for some time before being discovered and rescued. She was wearing her seatbelt, which clearly saved her life. My colleague has since become a local parish councillor, and he might have had something to do with the erection of the 25mph sign!
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Fascinating! I wasn't aware of this before. The 25mph limit is of course not a legal speed limit - it can't be - and North Somerset Council made clear in response to an FOI request that it is only advisory.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Chris5156 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 13:09 Fascinating! I wasn't aware of this before. The 25mph limit is of course not a legal speed limit - it can't be - and North Somerset Council made clear in response to an FOI request that it is only advisory.
So, does the same apply to the 15mph limits in Kirkwall?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

The point is this picture just sparked up my mind and left me wondering the possibility of a 16 mph speed limit sign.
An imperial conversion of 25 km/h?