Treasure trove of old street light installations around Glasgow

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

lexynoise

Treasure trove of old street light installations around Glasgow

Post by lexynoise »

Hello everyone. Long time lurker on here and Ukastle. First time poster.

Yesterday I stumbled across an old YouTube video someone had posted. It's a recording of a road trip up the west coast of Scotland someone had made in 1999. It's an interesting time capsule for a lot of reasons, most notably because it features a lot of old street lights that are long gone. There are so many small replacements here and there that you don't notice how much of the street landscape has changed in twenty years. It's an interesting blast from the past, especially if you're from the area and like street lights.

The video is here if you're interested. It's pretty long and you'll probably want to mute the audio. The background music is a bit "American tourist visiting Scotland". Also, it's a video camera recording from the 90s, so it's far from HD and the sky is blown out in places, making it hard to see some of the street lighting.

I've made an Imgur album of screen caps of the most interesting bits, and I'll post a couple of images below.

Some old cast iron SOX fixtures with above-ground wiring.

North Ayrshire seemed to like SOX lanterns at very jaunty angles.

Concrete and SOX as far as the eye can see.

Contrasting concrete columns - one more decorative and the other more utilitarian.

More stills from the video
traffic-light-man

Re: Treasure trove of old street light installations around Glasgow

Post by traffic-light-man »

I was surprised to spot some Peek Elite 200mm pedestrian signals on that video. I was under the impression that they came in with the 2003 TSRGD that mandated 200mm pedestrian aspects in place of 300mm, but 1999 is a few years ahead of that!
Simon
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

No, Peek Elite and Siemens Helios signals had 200mm pedestrian & arrow signals from the beginning. 1999 was the first time I saw them start to appear so it's lucky to spot them in a video from that year.

TSRGD 2003 merely banned the use of 300mm aspects; which only affected Mellor and Microsense signals.

You surely knew this, Simon. :wink:
Last edited by Gareth on Wed Feb 17, 2021 16:39, edited 1 time in total.
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

I knew they had 200mm arrows using the 3001.1, which had been scalable in size since TSRGD 1994, being replaced by 3001.2 and 3001.3 in TSRGD 2002.

The 4002 pedestrian signals were fixed at 300mm with no permitted variants in TSRGD 1994, which I had assumed was why the first Elite sites had 200mm arrows, but 300mm pedestrian signals using Peek branded Mellors.

I'm not aware of any interim amendments to the regulations, but I suppose there could also have been special authorisations made.
Simon
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

The first set of Peek Elite I saw definitely had 200mm ped aspects and that was in 1999 - the Mons intersection in Bootle (Breeze Hill / Southport Rd).

They're gone now, replaced with Helios and nearside ped signals but are on older captures of Streetview.
scott125

Post by scott125 »

lexynoise wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 13:55 Hello everyone. Long time lurker on here and Ukastle. First time poster.

Yesterday I stumbled across an old YouTube video someone had posted. It's a recording of a road trip up the west coast of Scotland someone had made in 1999. It's an interesting time capsule for a lot of reasons, most notably because it features a lot of old street lights that are long gone. There are so many small replacements here and there that you don't notice how much of the street landscape has changed in twenty years. It's an interesting blast from the past, especially if you're from the area and like street lights.

The video is here if you're interested. It's pretty long and you'll probably want to mute the audio. The background music is a bit "American tourist visiting Scotland". Also, it's a video camera recording from the 90s, so it's far from HD and the sky is blown out in places, making it hard to see some of the street lighting.

I've made an Imgur album of screen caps of the most interesting bits, and I'll post a couple of images below.

Some old cast iron SOX fixtures with above-ground wiring.

Glasgow still has loads of SOX lighting, some very old. Pollokshields area looks to have some from the 60s.

They are starting to replace the old cast iron posts with newer LEDs but still hooked up with wiring.

North Ayrshire seemed to like SOX lanterns at very jaunty angles.

Concrete and SOX as far as the eye can see.

Contrasting concrete columns - one more decorative and the other more utilitarian.

More stills from the video