Mystery box

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Ronnie

Mystery box

Post by Ronnie »

I’ve been driving past this mysterious grey box with a flashing light mounted on it next to the A9 for a few years and have always wondered what it was. Last week I drive past and the light was flashing. Any ideas what it could be for and why it needs to attract attention to itself?

https://goo.gl/maps/x8atKqawR4My8Kqh7
the cheesecake man

Re: Mystery box

Post by the cheesecake man »

Electrical connections for the camera? Data storage?

Battery needs charging? Storage is full?
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

Also what about the hidden GSJ from here to the farm on the other side of the A9, a S1 with grass up the middle. This could have been a LILO rather that a standard flat junction.

As for the box, no idea my first though was an electric fence but I can't see one.
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

It's an electrical cabinet for something relating to the road.

I doubt it's for the Trafficmaster camera, as it has it's own cabinet next to it.
It won't be for the junction warning signs, as it appears to be much older than them. And for the same reason, definitely isn't related to the speed cameras.
There doesn't appear to be a traffic counter or weather station there, although it could date from a long since obsolete ice sensor.

I'm wondering if the farm underpass requires pumped drainage, so that could be cause for another electrical system.
the dark lord

Post by the dark lord »

There is a similar, but much newer box near my office. It seems to be at a bit of a pumping station / attenuation tank. When it flashes there usually follows a flurry of United Utilities activity so I'm guessing it is some sort of fault alarm.

Our fuel bund alarm has a similar beacon.
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

If you scroll back abit there is some kind of pump. As stated above it could be something to do with that. Maybe it flashes when pumping is needed? Given all the bad weather of late.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

JohnnyMo wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 21:04 Also what about the hidden GSJ from here to the farm on the other side of the A9, a S1 with grass up the middle. This could have been a LILO rather that a standard flat junction.
I'd hazard a guess that's for moving livestock.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

Possibly an alarm for if that underpass floods Then?
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

darkcape wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 20:18 Possibly an alarm for if that underpass floods Then?
I'd say so yes. Given how it's such a major Scottish trunk road last thing they probably want is it overflowing out onto the carriwaways and swamping them.
Ronnie

Post by Ronnie »

Good call, hadn’t ever considered pumps for the underpass but I’d bet that’s exactly what it is!
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

I believe certain pieces of gas network equipment have amber strobe beacons mounted to them, though I don't think I've ever noticed a Lucy cabinet being used for anything gas related.

I think the flooding suggestion is feasible. I'm not sure why a local indication of that (the beacon) is of use, though I suppose it could highlight the condition of the underpass to any passing maintenance staff.

Edit: It looks from some searching about on the web, that controls for wastewater pumping stations also often have an amber or red strobe beacon fitted to the top, with the pumping equipment itself typically being below ground. These generally seem to be the green GRP type cabinets these days, but there surely must be some older metal cabinets kicking around too with this purpose.
Simon
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

Interceptor tanks as part of road drainage systems have an alarm box to warn when they're full and need emptying, quite a few on more modern roads including the St Albans section of the M25.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!