Pre-1970 Marker Posts

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Having a cuppa

Pre-1970 Marker Posts

Post by Having a cuppa »

Does anyone have any pictures of the Pre-1970 Marker Posts you used to find on motorways? I had a skim through the SABRE wiki, as well as a couple of other sites, but I couldn't find any pictures. Also, were the Pre-1970 Marker Posts created by the Anderson or Worboys Committee?
My car gets 90 leagues to the firkin and that's the way I like it!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Re: Pre-1970 Marker Posts

Post by Bryn666 »

Having a cuppa wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 18:04 Does anyone have any pictures of the Pre-1970 Marker Posts you used to find on motorways? I had a skim through the SABRE wiki, as well as a couple of other sites, but I couldn't find any pictures. Also, were the Pre-1970 Marker Posts created by the Anderson or Worboys Committee?
The basic design of the marker post hasn't changed other than the measurements units and typeface - many old marker posts, indeed, many well into the 1980s, used the MoT typeface instead of Transport; including Chris M's very own A6144(M) marker post rescues.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

The only times I ever remember noticing the numbering system on imperial marker posts were on northbound journeys on the M6 in the Staffs/Cheshire area. If I remember correctly it was something like

6A

where the second line is miles and the third is units of 110 yards = 1/16 mile (or could be regarded as just a count of posts within the mile).

The top line seems to be a composite of the motorway number and carriageway indicator. Was this the same on other early motorways? What about Ax(M)s?

I think the original numbering system for emergency phones was the same (without the third line)???
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

wrinkly wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:45 The only times I ever remember noticing the numbering system on imperial marker posts were on northbound journeys on the M6 in the Staffs/Cheshire area. If I remember correctly it was something like

6A

where the second line is miles and the third is units of 110 yards = 1/16 mile (or could be regarded as just a count of posts within the mile).

The top line seems to be a composite of the motorway number and carriageway indicator. Was this the same on other early motorways? What about Ax(M)s?

I think the original numbering system for emergency phones was the same (without the third line)???
This looks very much like the marker posts in Northern Ireland, except that the NI marker posts appear to be 55 yards apart (not 100 metres) and they work in units of 55 yards - ie marker post 14/31 (14 miles and 31*55 yds) precedes marker post 15/00.