PEDESTRIANS signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

traffic-light-man

PEDESTRIANS signs

Post by traffic-light-man »

Is it a UK-wide culture to now use the white-on-red 'PEDESTRIANS' (with arrow) signs (TSRGD 7018) to sign a diverted route for pedestrians? By that, I mean a longer-distance diverted route, rather than a short route avoiding an obstacle.

I was always under the impression that these signs were used in a comparable manner to a 'keep left' or 'keep right' sign at roadworks. Over the last few years, it seems to be that they're now used to sign routes in a comparable manner to 'diverted traffic' signs, and I'm wondering if this is something that's local to me, or it is something that now takes place as standard? You see them pointing in all sorts of confusing and incomprehensible directions, sometimes with no obstruction in sight of the signs.

The most common use around the city centre where I live is usually a case of a developer closing the footway for what seems like an eternity, so a whole bunch of these signs go up, sometimes so far away from the obstruction that they make no sense, even for someone who has decided to follow them.

I can't help but think that a black-on-yellow 'pedestrian diversion' with the walking figure might be much more useful in these circumstances, also being adaptable for other modes as required.
Attachments
IMG_1532.JPG
Simon