Pedestrian Zone anomalies

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Alinberks

Pedestrian Zone anomalies

Post by Alinberks »

The way I understand it RTRA 84 Sect 3 https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1984/27/section/3 prevents roads being closed for more than 8 hours in any 24hour period. This applies in particular when highway authorities are considering a part-time Pedestrian Zone. They can either close a road for a Pedestrian Zone so that it applies 24/7, or they're restricted to choosing an 8 hour period to prevent motor vehicles accessing an area. No Motor Vehicles 10am-6pm for instance

How come Horsham have a Ped Zone that applies 12 hours in a day then? https://goo.gl/maps/Q7einDogJEXJT8S67 ..or have I misinterpreted the 1984 legislation?

(I appreciate this query is more for the experienced traffic engineers on here that can interpret the 'legal speak' of RTRA... which can be quite baffling)
jervi

Re: Pedestrian Zone anomalies

Post by jervi »

Was that a covid response measure?
Can't remember seeing that TRO on the West Sussex website (and I check it every week for the past year or so)

But yeah from what I can see if does conflict with RTRA, however I have very little knowledge on this subject, and their may be other regulation that trumps this one.
yen_powell

Post by yen_powell »

Surely sub section 2 says you can ignore sub section 1 if you can show any of the stated reasons.
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

Yes. The overall effect is that unless subsection (2) applies, pedestrians must have access to premises for at least a portion of each day, and vehicles must have access for at least 16 hours a day.

Critically, it does not state that they can’t be sent the long way round.
Alinberks

Post by Alinberks »

AndyB wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 13:42 Yes. The overall effect is that unless subsection (2) applies, pedestrians must have access to premises for at least a portion of each day, and vehicles must have access for at least 16 hours a day.

Critically, it does not state that they can’t be sent the long way round.
...so... presumably the signs at the entrances to the Horsham Pecdestrian Zone are non-compliant with s3 RTRA as their restriction applies 12 hours a day? ...or their argument is that subsection (2) is applicable to that area. I've read subsection (2) multiple times and come to different conclusion each time...still can't get my head past the legal jargon
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

Subsection (2) gives a pile of reasons to ignore subsection (1) but it has to be explicitly stated in the TRO that the restriction is an exception under subsection (2).