New Touchless Pedestrian Crossings

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

AlexBr967

New Touchless Pedestrian Crossings

Post by AlexBr967 »

A junction near me has had some new traffic lights fitted. I went down today to have a look and noticed they had a little sticker on the button units.
20210331_152530.jpg
Thoughts? Good idea or just a gimmick? Personally, I think they're a bit useless if the button is still prominent. I ended up pressing the button before I read the sticker. Not helped by the fact that 'push button' is read first.
Nathan_A_RF

Re: New Touchless Pedestrian Crossings

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

A few signallised crossings in Southampton have had sensors fitted to detect pedestrians so the button does not have to be pressed. Seems to be a covid measure.
AlexBr967

Post by AlexBr967 »

Is it like this or something different?
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

It was similar, the button units were still there but there were signs saying you did not have to press them as the sensors detected you. Seems to be a good idea if the button units were to be removed.
jervi

Post by jervi »

Seems like a good idea.
Alinberks

Post by Alinberks »

Perhaps they could be dual use sensor units and soap dispensers (with that symbology I bet there will be a few putting both hands under and rubbing together, expecting either a blob of soap or a blast of hot air)
rachandsarai

Post by rachandsarai »

AlexBr967 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 16:36 A junction near me has had some new traffic lights fitted. I went down today to have a look and noticed they had a little sticker on the button units. 20210331_152530.jpg

Thoughts? Good idea or just a gimmick? Personally, I think they're a bit useless if the button is still prominent. I ended up pressing the button before I read the sticker. Not helped by the fact that 'push button' is read first.
That actually sounds a good idea for the covid stuff at the moment. Means everyone doesnt have to sanitize their hands everytime they press the button.
Rachel Harper, A Scottish Vehicle Spotter and Road enthusiast in Scotland.
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

Nathan_A_RF wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 21:00 It was similar, the button units were still there but there were signs saying you did not have to press them as the sensors detected you. Seems to be a good idea if the button units were to be removed.
The problem with removing the PBU is that blind and partially sighted people expect the presence of them at signalised crossings for several reasons, so I'd be hesitant to remove them.

The touchless sensor mounted to the bottom of the PBU is interesting, but that sticker unfortunately makes the PBU non-compliant with TSRGD. I actually think in this instance that a typical white-on-red sign above the PBU would gain more attention, whereas the sticker has the opportunity to not stand out at all from the usual legend, as the OP mentioned.
Simon
AlexBr967

Post by AlexBr967 »

traffic-light-man wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 18:21
Nathan_A_RF wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 21:00 It was similar, the button units were still there but there were signs saying you did not have to press them as the sensors detected you. Seems to be a good idea if the button units were to be removed.
The problem with removing the PBU is that blind and partially sighted people expect the presence of them at signalised crossings for several reasons, so I'd be hesitant to remove them.

The touchless sensor mounted to the bottom of the PBU is interesting, but that sticker unfortunately makes the PBU non-compliant with TSRGD. I actually think in this instance that a typical white-on-red sign above the PBU would gain more attention, whereas the sticker has the opportunity to not stand out at all from the usual legend, as the OP mentioned.
You're actually correct. There is a white on red sign above the units. I'm quite short so didn't actually notice it until later
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Possibly the rationale is that there is one moving part less for the yobos to vandalise.
Scratchwood

Post by Scratchwood »

rachandsarai wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 16:50
AlexBr967 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 16:36 A junction near me has had some new traffic lights fitted. I went down today to have a look and noticed they had a little sticker on the button units. 20210331_152530.jpg

That actually sounds a good idea for the covid stuff at the moment. Means everyone doesnt have to sanitize their hands everytime they press the button.
I usually use an item of clothing to press the button if my elbow isn't dextrous enough!