Traffic lights and cyclists

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Re: Traffic lights and cyclists

Post by FosseWay »

Al__S wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 19:18 A lot of Dutch junctions have, on the cycleways, induction detectors with an indication that you've been detected and a button to press if you haven't
Same in Sweden. The button lights up when you press it, but at some junctions it lights up as you approach it. What I'm not 100% sure about is whether it's detecting me approaching, or whether it lights up because there is a protected cyclist phase coming up, or the road parallel to the cycle path is about to get green. It may be a mixture of both, depending on the junction.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

FosseWay wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 21:04
Al__S wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 19:18 A lot of Dutch junctions have, on the cycleways, induction detectors with an indication that you've been detected and a button to press if you haven't
Same in Sweden. The button lights up when you press it, but at some junctions it lights up as you approach it. What I'm not 100% sure about is whether it's detecting me approaching, or whether it lights up because there is a protected cyclist phase coming up, or the road parallel to the cycle path is about to get green. It may be a mixture of both, depending on the junction.
if I recall correctly, some of the dutch ones have a central red light to show detection, and a ring of white lights that counts down to the next green phase (but this is a max time and the lights may change early, if they can)
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

The Dutch ones that I mentioned earlier with the 'WACHT' wording are often presented with the legend in red and a timer around the outside, like you say, though they also have timers in the form of numerical countdowns and vertical strips which 'drop' down.

What is interesting is that there are variations (particularly with the non-numerical ones) where the timer actually just speeds up if the green will be served sooner. Quite how that's outputted from the controller I'm not too sure, though I suspect it's using a detection system that's not used here in the UK. It'd be interesting to know if a similar output could feasibly be generated from MOVA given that it's constantly analysing flows in order to make decisions.
Simon