Unique Traffic Signals

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

traffic-light-man

Re: Unique Traffic Signals

Post by traffic-light-man »

Dougman wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 08:39 *cough* illuminated red borders in Houston *cough*
I raise you the illuminated mast arm! Though admittedly, I think this is overkill, and that countdown timer is a bit rough.

OliverH wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:01
traffic-light-man wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 06:01I'm not sure what you mean by 'optic traffic lights', but did they have sharp 90 degree corners and beveled white borders?
I believe it was beveled
That'll be a Polymer Solutions backing board and border, by the sounds of it. They don't make signal heads, but they make accessories like backing boards and pole (re-)covers.
OliverH wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:06 thanks for the information: "Those are MOTUS Ultras, rather than Siemens Helios."

before that, I never knew of the company.

any chance you could tell me who makes these similar traffic lights: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.79658 ... 8192?hl=en
No problems! It's worth noting that a few different companies had an Ultra, which was basically the same head but with different branding, they were USCO, Techmiracle and Monitron. The Ultra is now being produced and supplied by Colas ITS, but that's a very recent development.

The signals in the link you've posted there are Aldridge Zenith signal heads. They were originally developed and manufactured by Traffic Systems Co-operative, but became an Aldridge product line when TSC merged with MOTUS.
Simon
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Straight on traffic here in Mottram has no stop line but gets a (permanently green) signal anyway.
Dougman

Post by Dougman »

Chris Bertram wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 09:26
Dougman wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 08:39 *cough* illuminated red borders in Houston *cough*
Been there, seen that - or a similar set a few blocks to the south, anyway. I think it's to do with the junction being with a tram (or do they still say streetcar?) route.
Indeed, it only seems to be on the junctions where the tram crosses.
lose: (v): to suffer the deprivation of - to lose one's job; to lose one's life.

loose: (a): free or released from fastening or attachment - a loose end.
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

here's one that found whilst reading BENO'S website: https://www.google.com/maps/@51.3036548 ... 312!8i6656
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

traffic-light-man wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 20:07
I raise you the illuminated mast arm! Though admittedly, I think this is overkill, and that countdown timer is a bit rough.

OliverH wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:01
traffic-light-man wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 06:01I'm not sure what you mean by 'optic traffic lights', but did they have sharp 90 degree corners and beveled white borders?
I believe it was beveled
That'll be a Polymer Solutions backing board and border, by the sounds of it. They don't make signal heads, but they make accessories like backing boards and pole (re-)covers.
OliverH wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:06 thanks for the information: "Those are MOTUS Ultras, rather than Siemens Helios."

before that, I never knew of the company.

any chance you could tell me who makes these similar traffic lights: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.79658 ... 8192?hl=en
No problems! It's worth noting that a few different companies had an Ultra, which was basically the same head but with different branding, they were USCO, Techmiracle and Monitron. The Ultra is now being produced and supplied by Colas ITS, but that's a very recent development.

The signals in the link you've posted there are Aldridge Zenith signal heads. They were originally developed and manufactured by Traffic Systems Co-operative, but became an Aldridge product line when TSC merged with MOTUS.
Thanks.
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

Darren

Post by Darren »

Chris Bertram wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 18:29 Even more occasionally seen are true vertical versions with red top and bottom. This, however, seems to be standard on the Isle of Man.
Ah, like these, not far from me - note the lack of red-and-white border too.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.39079 ... 56!5m1!1e1
delinquentwoody

Post by delinquentwoody »

Apologies that I cannot think for the life of me where I came across this a few years ago.. but I seem to remember it's a pedestrian crossing on a 70mph dual carriageway.. and I seem to remember there is a very small red flashing light (or something very similar) a few hundred yards before the traffic lights, that would alert you before it is going to start changing to red only before it actually starts changing, so you have time to slow down and stop. I seem to remember there was no sign to explain what the very small flashing light meant but it's meaning became apparent when the traffic lights came into view.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Are there any others with striped poles?
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

There were some on Euston Rd in London, near Kings Cross & Pancras. Think they've been gone for a few years.

I know it's nostalgia to some extent but those Wolverhampton ones look really smart.

If you like stripey traffic lights, the Netherlands is probably the best place to go nowadays.
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

never seen a junction where there is a pelican push button underneath a puffin push button. Mabie, the junction was modified from a pelican to a puffin.
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

OliverH wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 21:11 never seen a junction where there is a pelican push button underneath a puffin push button. Mabie, the junction was modified from a pelican to a puffin.
Pelican crossings are stand-alone pedestrian crossings, so a crossing at a junction is never a pelican. A pelican push button legend will also have three signals shown in the instructions, red, green and flashing green, whereas these show just the two, which would be the standard for a junction.

Those nearside indicators look like halogen units, which makes them old enough to pre-date the reduced size compact push button unit commonly found with nearside indicators. The typical PBUs mounted with that type of nearside indicator was the type with no signal instructions like the one in my picture, so the ones in your link are unusual in using the standard legend and very possibly an upgrade from farsided signals at some point, yes.
Attachments
IMG_20210428_103330.jpg
Simon
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

here's another example of a modifcation: https://www.google.com/maps/@53.7925024 ... 312!8i6656

sometime later the "wait here" was removed from the older push-button boxes.
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

something interesting at this junction: https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2194128 ... 312!8i6656
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

OliverH wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:27 something interesting at this junction: https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2194128 ... 312!8i6656
I thought that would be extremely confusing, as you wouldn't know which lane to get in - until I looked back down the road and saw an even more unusual signal here. If you step back in time, you can see the other indication. Though go even further back, and it seems this is a replacement for a mechanical version.
There's a similar one on the other approach here - and again, step back and you'll see a mechanical version.

There's another oddity here - the wrong-side lanes have fixed "X" signals, which isn't unusual, but there are no arrows over the correct lanes.
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

I've posted this on here before. Its certainly unique and also hideous looking I've never seen anything like it before. I can't fathom why they've installed the pole that way. But then again as discussed on other threads TfL are in a word of their own when it comes to signals.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

L.J.D wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 19:59 I've posted this on here before. Its certainly unique and also hideous looking I've never seen anything like it before. I can't fathom why they've installed the pole that way. But then again as discussed on other threads TfL are in a word of their own when it comes to signals.
Is that post upside down?
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

Big L wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 20:44
L.J.D wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 19:59 I've posted this on here before. Its certainly unique and also hideous looking I've never seen anything like it before. I can't fathom why they've installed the pole that way. But then again as discussed on other threads TfL are in a word of their own when it comes to signals.
Is that post upside down?
It looks it. I'm assuming there's a reason for it though. My eyes nearly fell out when I first saw it :shock: :lol:
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

Sorry for a double post but I also spotted these rare cyclist mellors in Leeds a while ago also. I've never seen two big aspects together like that other than on pedestrian heads.
jervi

Post by jervi »

SteelCamel wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 21:10
OliverH wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:27 something interesting at this junction: https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2194128 ... 312!8i6656
I thought that would be extremely confusing, as you wouldn't know which lane to get in - until I looked back down the road and saw an even more unusual signal here. If you step back in time, you can see the other indication. Though go even further back, and it seems this is a replacement for a mechanical version.
There's a similar one on the other approach here - and again, step back and you'll see a mechanical version.

There's another oddity here - the wrong-side lanes have fixed "X" signals, which isn't unusual, but there are no arrows over the correct lanes.
I drive along Canwick Road quite often and it isn't too confusing. It is well sign posted and since the bypass has opened (and to extension the start of the first lockdown) traffic has seemed to manage just alright.

One slight issue with it is that here https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.21907 ... 384!8i8192 sometimes traffic will go through the red x to wait at the lights, and then merge after the lights.

Also when there is one-lane northbound and lots of traffic then people wanting to turn left have to wait in traffic as the left & ahead traffic are in the same lane, while the closed ahead lane is empty.

Personally since the bypass has opened I think Canwick Road should return to being an S2, and use the left over width used for cycle lanes or widened pavement. In addition the Pelham Bridge at the other end of Canwick Road is getting its joints replaced and completely resurfaced during June & July, however I think Lane 1 should be turned into a shared bus & cycle lane since it shouldn't need to be 2 lanes for all traffic now.
However the thing is they only rebuilt that junction about 5 years ago, so it seems like it would be wasting investment if they reduced the lanes now.