Unique Traffic Signals

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Jonathan24

Re: Unique Traffic Signals

Post by Jonathan24 »

AndyB wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 13:30
Jonathan24 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 22:49
AndyB wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 21:02
I did a double check when I went through today - four times in all - the new pole now just carries a normal three aspect head as well as the secondary call request for the crossing. I never saw the extra filter arrow - perhaps it got picked up in a site audit.
I passed it again this evening and the signal with the right filter is still there so I suspect we may be talking about a different location (or it's not actually unusual and I just thought it was).

I've attached a very rough mock-up of what I mean (sorry, couldn't take an actual picture, as I was driving), with there now being 3 traffic signals with right turn filters, 2 of which are on the right hand side of the road and the third which is on the left (I don't think there are green balls either, but straight ahead arrows and the closest of the signals on the right might be on this side of the road that crosses at right angles).

It's the signal on the left hand side of the road that I thought was unusual, given that you can't turn right from either of the two lanes on the left and the right turn lane is effectively a slip road that is for right turn only. It's a brand new signal that was never there in that position before and there was never a right turn filter on the left hand side of the road before either. Maybe it's just because it is different that makes me think it is unusual!

Traffic lights.png
I apologise, I had the wrong side of the junction. I do however know why the left hand side has a filter arrow - I drove up that right hand lane yesterday evening, and you can't see either of the other two green arrows until you're nearly on top of them. It's purely for sighting purposes.
That's no problem, I suspected we might have been looking at different parts of the junction! That's interesting as I hadn't noticed that before - I'm normally heading straight on rather than turning right at that junction. I wonder is that partly why the green arrow was originally underneath the green ball on the old signals, rather than to the right (as is the more common layout)? I think there was only one right turn filter arrow before whereas there are now three and presumably the one filter arrow was deemed sufficient at that time (unless standards have changed)?
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

Jonathan24 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 19:19
AndyB wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 13:30
Jonathan24 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 22:49

I passed it again this evening and the signal with the right filter is still there so I suspect we may be talking about a different location (or it's not actually unusual and I just thought it was).

I've attached a very rough mock-up of what I mean (sorry, couldn't take an actual picture, as I was driving), with there now being 3 traffic signals with right turn filters, 2 of which are on the right hand side of the road and the third which is on the left (I don't think there are green balls either, but straight ahead arrows and the closest of the signals on the right might be on this side of the road that crosses at right angles).

It's the signal on the left hand side of the road that I thought was unusual, given that you can't turn right from either of the two lanes on the left and the right turn lane is effectively a slip road that is for right turn only. It's a brand new signal that was never there in that position before and there was never a right turn filter on the left hand side of the road before either. Maybe it's just because it is different that makes me think it is unusual!

Traffic lights.png
I apologise, I had the wrong side of the junction. I do however know why the left hand side has a filter arrow - I drove up that right hand lane yesterday evening, and you can't see either of the other two green arrows until you're nearly on top of them. It's purely for sighting purposes.
That's no problem, I suspected we might have been looking at different parts of the junction! That's interesting as I hadn't noticed that before - I'm normally heading straight on rather than turning right at that junction. I wonder is that partly why the green arrow was originally underneath the green ball on the old signals, rather than to the right (as is the more common layout)? I think there was only one right turn filter arrow before whereas there are now three and presumably the one filter arrow was deemed sufficient at that time (unless standards have changed)?
Judging by my observations of sites converted to helios, my guess is that the Sira lens has a narrower field of view than the traditional fresnel lens and that's why there are more signal heads than there used to be. There will be experts on this thread who know what they are talking about!
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

OliverH wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 19:22 https://beno.uk/trafficlight/121.JPG
A single green arrow?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

Chris Bertram wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 22:04
OliverH wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 19:22 https://beno.uk/trafficlight/121.JPG
A single green arrow?

located near Maidstone. This light, a few meters before the main traffic lights, is used to detect if there is a bus coming. If so then when activated the blue light comes on for 3 seconds to tell the bus driver that it has been detected, and the main traffic lights change immediately (normally they will take up to a minute to change).
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

How about a Mellor toucan pelican with a separate bike signal. usually, you find a green bike attached to a normal green and red man traffic light.

this may go in the next few years as york wants to replace all of its older traffic lights.
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

OliverH wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 14:50 How about a Mellor toucan pelican with a separate bike signal. usually, you find a green bike attached to a normal green and red man traffic light.
That's a great find! The original Toucan trials used red cycles, but I believe they were 200mm red cycles and I don't think any of those remained for very long, if at all past the end of the trials.

The other notable example that springs to mind was this one from Sheffield, which was replaced with LED lanterns but still in the same format, but has subsequently been refurbished again with the 'correct' equipment. It used to have a partner up the way with the same layout that was removed for (I think) the introduction of the tramway. These had a special authorisation for the use of the cycle aspects in an otherwise Pelican arrangement.

PC280084.JPG

PC280085.JPG

These ones also used to exist in Leeds, but were recently removed. They didn't display a red cycle, and I'm not sure if they ever did, but the mounting arrangement is very similar to the one you've linked to in York.

IMG_20190407_110356.jpg
Simon
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

OliverH wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 16:19 wig-wags for a runway: https://www.google.com/maps/@53.1801551 ... 312!8i6656
Unfortunately fails the uniqueness test as there are probably many around. One specific example at Hurn (Bournemouth) comes to mind.
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

RichardA35 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 16:33
OliverH wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 16:19 wig-wags for a runway: https://www.google.com/maps/@53.1801551 ... 312!8i6656
Unfortunately fails the uniqueness test as there are probably many around. One specific example at Hurn (Bournemouth) comes to mind.
ok then this must surely be more unique:

WIGWAGS for a Race Course: https://www.google.com/maps/@50.8343941 ... 312!8i6656

also, it seems that when they replaced the streetlight they forgot to move the signs attached to it.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Link doesn't work.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
jervi

Post by jervi »

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.8347614 ... 312!8i6656
This one?
OliverH wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 18:50 WIGWAGS for a Race Course: https://www.google.com/maps/@50.8343941 ... 312!8i6656
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

jervi wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 21:09 https://www.google.com/maps/@50.8347614 ... 312!8i6656
This one?
OliverH wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 18:50 WIGWAGS for a Race Course: https://www.google.com/maps/@50.8343941 ... 312!8i6656
yep
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

This site had an optic filter addition to a mellor. I am guessing that council either couldn't find a spare Mellor filter or they used it as a replacement.
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

traffic-light-man wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 17:53
OliverH wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 14:50 How about a Mellor toucan pelican with a separate bike signal. usually, you find a green bike attached to a normal green and red man traffic light.
That's a great find! The original Toucan trials used red cycles, but I believe they were 200mm red cycles and I don't think any of those remained for very long, if at all past the end of the trials.

The other notable example that springs to mind was this one from Sheffield, which was replaced with LED lanterns but still in the same format, but has subsequently been refurbished again with the 'correct' equipment. It used to have a partner up the way with the same layout that was removed for (I think) the introduction of the tramway. These had a special authorisation for the use of the cycle aspects in an otherwise Pelican arrangement.

PC280084.JPG

PC280085.JPG

These ones also used to exist in Leeds, but were recently removed. They didn't display a red cycle, and I'm not sure if they ever did, but the mounting arrangement is very similar to the one you've linked to in York.

IMG_20190407_110356.jpg
here I have found an optic one: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.98465 ... 6656?hl=en
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

traffic-light-man wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 06:01 In addition to the Helios that Rambo has mentioned there in St Helens, these Microsense MSH, also in St Helens, are still going strong.

Now removed, there were also formerly fluorescent yellow backing boards here and here in St Helens (though the latter were removed prior to 2008, so no GSV for those).

The fluorescent yellow craze also spread south of the border in to Halton, where the signals on the A557 Watkinson Way were also adorned quite liberally, I think while they were still Highways Agency signals. I used to have one from that site and I've been able to dig out an old photograph.

P8130131.JPG

Another set of backing boards that may be of interest were these from M60 J24, which I believe have also now been retired.

DSCF4013.JPG
OliverH wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 13:47 here is one in Harrogate.
at the same junction before they were replaced there were 3 peek elites with a white border stuck onto the lights as opposed to using a frame with a border.
Something like these, also from Harrogate?

DSCF3984.JPG
OliverH wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 19:58 Here's a peek junction with some of the push button boxes that have been replaced with Siemens boxes and some traffic light surrounds replaced with Siemens surrounds. The other surroundings have had new white strips added to their borders.
Those are not Siemens borders, given Helios borders have the split at the top and bottom rather than at the sides. It's also worth noting that the Peek Elite and Siemens Helios are actually different sizes, so the borders and backing boards would be quite difficult to cross-mount without some effort.

These used to live in Preston, which were similar.

The former backing boards offered by Peek and Imtech both had a 'skinny' version which was exclusively used for fitting around side-mounted aspects. I'm wondering if they've used some of this in your example leading to the skinny backing board. Either way, I prefer these over the larger standard ones!
OliverH wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 19:58however, the replacements could be not Siemens but this company: https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4743365 ... 384!8i8192
Those are MOTUS Ultras, rather than Siemens Helios.
OliverH wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 00:07 I remember surfing google street view in London, and I came across some Mellors with optic traffic light surrounds stuck to the front. The only problem is that I can't remember where it was in London.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'optic traffic lights', but did they have sharp 90 degree corners and bevelled white borders?
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.42674 ... 8192?hl=en
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

A few Peek signals in LB Bexley had their tatty backing boards replaced with narrower ones so it isn't a unique thing:
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4516585 ... 384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4584406 ... 384!8i8192
ReissOmari

Post by ReissOmari »

Check this out in Knightsbridge. The pedestrian wait button is placed on the lamppost, however the signal itself has its on pole, why not just mount the signal head on the lamppost too?

https://goo.gl/maps/f5SbmsioqSQ2jKE68
Last edited by ReissOmari on Fri Oct 01, 2021 15:28, edited 2 times in total.
ReissOmari..
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

OliverH wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 19:55 This site had an optic filter addition to a mellor. I am guessing that council either couldn't find a spare Mellor filter or they used it as a replacement.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'optic'. It's had a modular addition to a Mellor, with the modular signal using a SIRA lens. In this case, a Siemens Helios by the looks of things. Interesting botch, but I guess if it works, it works! Also interesting to note the use here of a 'Humberside Right' on the 'wrong' side of the Pennines.
OliverH wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 15:45here I have found an optic one: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.98465 ... 6656?hl=en
Again, modular signal heads, also using SIRA lenses. In this case, a Peek Elite. Interesting that they chose this over a typical Toucan or Parallel arrangement here though, as I imagine this site will have dated from after the introduction of Toucans, particularly given the Peek Elites.
OliverH wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 09:32 Link
I've seen this done a few times - it's horrid. This one is like this. And this one was also the same, but has has the nasty border removed since the LED conversion. Also interesting to note that Telent have left this single Helios in presumably due to clearance issues with their 4G heads, but they've fitted it with Swarco modules to match the rest of the new LED heads. This is all despite Telent also installing numerous 4G heads with white tape stuck directly on to them as a matter of course in the early days!
MotorwayGuy wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 21:52 A few Peek signals in LB Bexley had their tatty backing boards replaced with narrower ones so it isn't a unique thing:
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4516585 ... 384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4584406 ... 384!8i8192
Those look like Motus Ultra borders to me, which must be a nice fit for the Elites by the looks of it. They don't look too bad on those Mellors actually, either.
Last edited by traffic-light-man on Sat Oct 02, 2021 02:20, edited 3 times in total.
Simon
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

traffic-light-man wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 15:20
OliverH wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 19:55 This site had an optic filter addition to a mellor. I am guessing that council either couldn't find a spare Mellor filter or they used it as a replacement.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'optic'. It's had a modular addition to a Mellor, with the modular signal using a SIRA lens. In this case, a Siemens Helios by the looks of things. Interesting botch, but I guess if it works, it works! Also interesting to note the use here of a 'Humberside Right' on the 'wrong' side of the Pennines.
OliverH wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 15:45here I have found an optic one: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.98465 ... 6656?hl=en
Again, modular signal heads, also using SIRA lenses. In this case, a Peek Elite. Interesting that they chose this over a typical Toucan or Parallel arrangement here though, as I imagine this site will have dated from after the introduction of Toucans, particularly given the Peek Elites.
OliverH wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 09:32 Link
I've seen this done a few times - it's horrid. This one is like this. And was also the same, but has has the nasty border removed since the LED conversion. Also interesting to note that Telent have left this single Helios in presumably due to clearance issues with their 4G heads, but they've fitted it with Swarco modules to match the rest of the new LED heads. This is all despite Telent also installing numerous 4G heads with white tape stuck directly on to them as a matter of course in the early days!
Those look like Motus Ultra borders to me, which must be a nice fit for the Elites by the looks of it. They don't look too bad on those Mellors actually, either.
actually, the Helios is a replacement for the Swarco as shown by the street view through time.