Unique Traffic Signals

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

OliverH

Unique Traffic Signals

Post by OliverH »

Found these in Manchester whilst looking back in time in street view.

before this, I had never seen a traffic light with a reflective green border only ones with white.

If you have any other interesting traffic light finds post them below.
Last edited by OliverH on Wed May 05, 2021 13:02, edited 1 time in total.
SteelCamel

Re: Unique Traffic Signals

Post by SteelCamel »

These U-turn lights have been posted before (in viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41632&p=1131767 by L.J.D.)
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

OliverH wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:25 Found these in Manchester whilst looking back in time in street view.

before this, I had never seen a traffic light with a reflective green border only ones with white.

This is basically because the railway safety bods can override highways officers - there were problems with 'see-through' at these lights, which subsequent urban development has helped rectify hence the return to conventional signals.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

OliverH wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:25 Found these in Manchester whilst looking back in time in street view.

It was a greeny-yellow by the looks of it. It reminds me of the standard border to backing boards pre-Mellor signals - they were yellow too. I must see if I can find any pics.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

here is one in Harrogate.
at the same junction before they were replaced there were 3 peek elites with a white border stuck onto the lights as opposed to using a frame with a border.
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

Here's a peek junction with some of the push button boxes that have been replaced with Siemens boxes and some traffic light surrounds replaced with Siemens surrounds. The other surroundings have had new white strips added to their borders.

however, the replacements could be not Siemens but this company: https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4743365 ... 384!8i8192
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Chris Bertram wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 13:23

It was a greeny-yellow by the looks of it. It reminds me of the standard border to backing boards pre-Mellor signals - they were yellow too. I must see if I can find any pics.
I expect it was fluorescent yellow, but the GSV camera will have struggled to pick that up.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

I have mentioned in another thread that there are still a set here https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4215651 ... 384!8i8192 in St Helens with a fluorescent yellow border.
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

I remember surfing google street view in London, and I came across some Mellors with optic traffic light surrounds stuck to the front. The only problem is that I can't remember where it was in London.
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

In addition to the Helios that Rambo has mentioned there in St Helens, these Microsense MSH, also in St Helens, are still going strong.

Now removed, there were also formerly fluorescent yellow backing boards here and here in St Helens (though the latter were removed prior to 2008, so no GSV for those).

The fluorescent yellow craze also spread south of the border in to Halton, where the signals on the A557 Watkinson Way were also adorned quite liberally, I think while they were still Highways Agency signals. I used to have one from that site and I've been able to dig out an old photograph.
P8130131.JPG
Another set of backing boards that may be of interest were these from M60 J24, which I believe have also now been retired.
DSCF4013.JPG
OliverH wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 13:47 here is one in Harrogate.
at the same junction before they were replaced there were 3 peek elites with a white border stuck onto the lights as opposed to using a frame with a border.
Something like these, also from Harrogate?
DSCF3984.JPG
OliverH wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 19:58 Here's a peek junction with some of the push button boxes that have been replaced with Siemens boxes and some traffic light surrounds replaced with Siemens surrounds. The other surroundings have had new white strips added to their borders.
Those are not Siemens borders, given Helios borders have the split at the top and bottom rather than at the sides. It's also worth noting that the Peek Elite and Siemens Helios are actually different sizes, so the borders and backing boards would be quite difficult to cross-mount without some effort.

These used to live in Preston, which were similar.

The former backing boards offered by Peek and Imtech both had a 'skinny' version which was exclusively used for fitting around side-mounted aspects. I'm wondering if they've used some of this in your example leading to the skinny backing board. Either way, I prefer these over the larger standard ones!
OliverH wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 19:58however, the replacements could be not Siemens but this company: https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4743365 ... 384!8i8192
Those are MOTUS Ultras, rather than Siemens Helios.
OliverH wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 00:07 I remember surfing google street view in London, and I came across some Mellors with optic traffic light surrounds stuck to the front. The only problem is that I can't remember where it was in London.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'optic traffic lights', but did they have sharp 90 degree corners and bevelled white borders?
Simon
Dougman

Post by Dougman »

lose: (v): to suffer the deprivation of - to lose one's job; to lose one's life.

loose: (a): free or released from fastening or attachment - a loose end.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Dougman wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 08:39 *cough* illuminated red borders in Houston *cough*
Been there, seen that - or a similar set a few blocks to the south, anyway. I think it's to do with the junction being with a tram (or do they still say streetcar?) route.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

OliverH

Post by OliverH »

traffic-light-man wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 06:01 In addition to the Helios that Rambo has mentioned there in St Helens, these Microsense MSH, also in St Helens, are still going strong.

Now removed, there were also formerly fluorescent yellow backing boards here and here in St Helens (though the latter were removed prior to 2008, so no GSV for those).

The fluorescent yellow craze also spread south of the border in to Halton, where the signals on the A557 Watkinson Way were also adorned quite liberally, I think while they were still Highways Agency signals. I used to have one from that site and I've been able to dig out an old photograph.

P8130131.JPG

Another set of backing boards that may be of interest were these from M60 J24, which I believe have also now been retired.

DSCF4013.JPG
OliverH wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 13:47 here is one in Harrogate.
Something like these, also from Harrogate?

DSCF3984.JPG
OliverH wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 19:58 Here's a peek junction with some of the push button boxes that have been replaced with Siemens boxes and some traffic light surrounds replaced with Siemens surrounds. The other surroundings have had new white strips added to their borders.
Those are not Siemens borders, given Helios borders have the split at the top and bottom rather than at the sides. It's also worth noting that the Peek Elite and Siemens Helios are actually different sizes, so the borders and backing boards would be quite difficult to cross-mount without some effort.

These used to live in Preston, which were similar.

The former backing boards offered by Peek and Imtech both had a 'skinny' version which was exclusively used for fitting around side-mounted aspects. I'm wondering if they've used some of this in your example leading to the skinny backing board. Either way, I prefer these over the larger standard ones!
OliverH wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 19:58however, the replacements could be not Siemens but this company: https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4743365 ... 384!8i8192
Those are MOTUS Ultras, rather than Siemens Helios.
OliverH wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 00:07 I remember surfing google street view in London, and I came across some Mellors with optic traffic light surrounds stuck to the front. The only problem is that I can't remember where it was in London.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'optic traffic lights', but did they have sharp 90 degree corners and beveled white borders?
I believe it was beveled
and yes like those ones in Harogate
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

thanks for the information: "Those are MOTUS Ultras, rather than Siemens Helios."

before that, I never knew of the company.

any chance you could tell me who makes these similar traffic lights: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.79658 ... 8192?hl=en
ellandback

Post by ellandback »

I've posted this one on another thread. When it was first installed I initially thought it was part of the pelican crossing lights on the opposite carriageway and that the signal head was the wrong way round. But no, what it's actually doing is giving advance warning of the lights, and what colour they are currently showing, at the roundabout which is out of sight just around the bend. Clever, once you've worked that out.
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

here it looks like that the no U-turn has been added later on on it's life as the border of the traffic light dose not go around the sign.
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

here's one: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.47678 ... 8192?hl=en witch has light up singns that must turn on at certain times of the day.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

You want a unique traffic signal ?

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.50676,- ... 384!8i8192

I think someone on here was connected with installing it.
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

OliverH wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 16:59 here's a portrait wig wag: https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5121519 ... 384!8i8192
For clearance reasons, no doubt. Even more occasionally seen are true vertical versions with red top and bottom. This, however, seems to be standard on the Isle of Man.