Unique Traffic Signals

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

OliverH

Re: Unique Traffic Signals

Post by OliverH »

will be gone but I have never seen the additional aspects placed at the top of the signal.
AlexBr967

Post by AlexBr967 »

Not sure if this is unique but I've never seen it anywhere else. The traffic lights here have far-side crossing lights but a mix of 'wait' button boxes and red-light style button boxes. It would normally be only the 'wait' style with far-side lights.
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

AlexBr967 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 21:54 Not sure if this is unique but I've never seen it anywhere else. The traffic lights here have far-side crossing lights but a mix of 'wait' button boxes and red-light style button boxes. It would normally be only the 'wait' style with far-side lights.
Either style of PBU is permitted with far-sided signals, though it is quite unusual to see a mix on the same site. It's fairly standard for TfL's refurbs under the Siemens area contracts to be fitted with the Siemens nearside PBU, even though they're far-sided.
Simon
AlexBr967

Post by AlexBr967 »

Found this. It's a toucan but with lights for bicycles only on one side and the lights are all vertical. Also, just remembered this puffin. I've never seen staggered lights like that anywhere else. Unfortunately been replaced now due to improvements to the adjacent street.
ReissOmari

Post by ReissOmari »

AlexBr967 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:39 Found this. It's a toucan but with lights for bicycles only on one side and the lights are all vertical. Also, just remembered this puffin. I've never seen staggered lights like that anywhere else. Unfortunately been replaced now due to improvements to the adjacent street.
A few of the staggered pedestrian lights knocking around here, here, here, here & here in Birmingham still. There's most likely many more around the City too, BCC went on a spending spree in the early 2000s installing these mellors everywhere, especially by Schools.
ReissOmari..
traffic-light-man

Monitron (left) and Thermotor (right) were manufacturers of units using the diagonally off-set figures. GMUTC (now TfGM) used Thermotor nearside signals for many years, so they're a common sight in Greater Manchester. TfL also used them as their standard nearside signal, but of course nearside signals are less common within the TfL region.

IMG_20211010_123631__01.jpg

ReissOmari wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 14:04A few of the staggered pedestrian lights knocking around here, here, here, here & here in Birmingham still. There's most likely many more around the City too, BCC went on a spending spree in the early 2000s installing these mellors everywhere, especially by Schools.
This one is quite impressive, retaining its entire compliment of original Monitron equipment!
Simon
AlexBr967

Post by AlexBr967 »

traffic-light-man wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 17:53 That's a great find! The original Toucan trials used red cycles, but I believe they were 200mm red cycles and I don't think any of those remained for very long, if at all past the end of the trials.
I just found this when finding an example of a pegasus crossing: https://goo.gl/maps/WNe93CLfztG6JQSi9. The crossing has lights for horses and cycles but not pedestrians. Seems rather strange. It was built in 2017 going by street-view so definitely doesn't have the excuse of being in the trial
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

here is one that has two push-button boxes on the same pole.
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

OliverH wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 13:30 here is one that has two push-button boxes on the same pole.
A similar island here has arrows stuck on the pedestrian signals. Without them, it's far from obvious which box belongs to which of the three crossings - a downside of nearside signals?
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

Similar here at Bassett Crossroads on the A33
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

traffic-light-man

AlexBr967 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 13:10 I just found this when finding an example of a pegasus crossing: https://goo.gl/maps/WNe93CLfztG6JQSi9. The crossing has lights for horses and cycles but not pedestrians. Seems rather strange. It was built in 2017 going by street-view so definitely doesn't have the excuse of being in the trial
I would suggest that it's a non-prescribed cock up. I can't see any reason for it not to be a Toucan, there's clearly pedestrian access on either side of the carriageway.
Big L wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 06:41 3 on one pole.
I think three vehicle heads on a pole is quite common, particularly on splitter islands between right turn pockets for instance. What's more uncommon is four signal heads on a pole without any D-brackets, though the standard UK signal pole is designed to take up to four signal heads. This is one of the only ones I can think of off the top of my head with four vehicle heads. Its Mellor predecessors had the same arrangement.
Simon
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

traffic-light-man wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:50
AlexBr967 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 13:10 I just found this when finding an example of a pegasus crossing: https://goo.gl/maps/WNe93CLfztG6JQSi9. The crossing has lights for horses and cycles but not pedestrians. Seems rather strange. It was built in 2017 going by street-view so definitely doesn't have the excuse of being in the trial
I would suggest that it's a non-prescribed cock up. I can't see any reason for it not to be a Toucan, there's clearly pedestrian access on either side of the carriageway.
Big L wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 06:41 3 on one pole.
I think three vehicle heads on a pole is quite common, particularly on splitter islands between right turn pockets for instance. What's more uncommon is four signal heads on a pole without any D-brackets, though the standard UK signal pole is designed to take up to four signal heads. This is one of the only ones I can think of off the top of my head with four vehicle heads. Its Mellor predecessors had the same arrangement.
Just noticed that the Mellor predecessors had fiberoptic arrows.
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

this one was on the lamppost before the site was replaced with new ones.

so was this one: https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3265539 ... 312!8i6656
traffic-light-man

OliverH wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:00 this one was on the lamppost before the site was replaced with new ones.

so was this one: https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3265539 ... 312!8i6656
Signals mounted to street lighting columns were very common in most areas, particularly with old pre-Mellor era signals. I think this was the last evidence of that in the Liverpool area, showing the old jointing 'cap' that were used on a lot of the Liverpool installations in place of the regular pole cap jointing (there might be more that I've missed, but I don't think so - Gareth might know otherwise), but these were removed before Christmas.

In some areas, it was still common to mount signals to street lighting columns well in to the Mellor era, and in fact in a lot of these areas it's still fairly common to see decapitated lighting columns where the street lighting has been replaced, but the lower 3.5mish of the pole have been retained to hold the existing signal head. Sheffield and Notts come to mind to start with as places where this seems (or rather, seemed) to be a fairly frequent occurrence.

And then, on the opposite footing, Liverpool is now keen to install on to LCs once again, but using a specific type of column and presumably ELV signal heads. These can be seen all over the city now, here's examples of such on Siemens, Dynniq and MOTUS sites. I've seen similar arrangements in Nottingham and Edinburgh, too, and I'm sure there's other places beginning to do it again now that reducing street clutter is generally on the agenda.
Simon
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Here's another survivor on a decapitated lamp standard in Birmingham: https://goo.gl/maps/vQ96nLyYiDvPuKdS8
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
AlexBr967

Post by AlexBr967 »

I just found an intriguing example where the street light column appears to have been replaced but the original signal was put back on it
2014: https://goo.gl/maps/HxNsMoEw7NBoo6z29
2015: https://goo.gl/maps/yFfN7N3ojSSCeYSy6
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

Even more intriguing is the other end of the junction:
Sept 2014 - the signals are on the old lighting pole
Nov 2015 - mid-replacement. The pole has been replaced and has brackets on, but the signals are on a temporary pole.
Aug 2016 - the signals are now on the new light pole, though the temporary one hasn't been removed yet.
Apr 2017 - all finished
Nov 2020 - for no obvious reason, the signals have been removed from the light pole and put on a separate, new pole.

And just to complete the set, on the other side of the road the signal has been left on the old lighting pole, which has had the top cut off and a new light installed next to it! Who needs consistency?
yen_powell

Post by yen_powell »

the cheesecake man wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 13:28 Far more than three on one pole Cheating? Where? :coat:
Trafalgar Way E14, outside Billingsgate fish market. I have pictures of it being assembled but I hit a size restriction when trying to post them. We had no instructions for the assembly, the artist who designed it wanted too much money to help out and when it was removed from its first location it was just taken apart and placed inside a few lorry containers and sat there for quite a few years. It's LED bulbed now which save a fair bit on the energy bills.