Reversal of priority on pelican crossings

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

AndyB
SABRE Developer

Re: Reversal of priority on pelican crossings

Post by AndyB »

Many crossings would function well as Zebras if it weren't for peak times. Many others are Pelicans or Puffins because an able bodied person can conveniently cross using the Green Cross Code much of the time, but those with mobility difficulties would struggle with even a Zebra.
Britain

Post by Britain »

I'm of the understanding that stopping and moving off uses more fuel and causes more pollution than travelling at a consistent speed or merely slowing and speeding up. Why then, in today's supposed climate-concerned world, are the roads being designed in such a way to cause traffic to stop and move off more often? 24/7 traffic lights instead of part time signals, converting roundabouts to cross roads, putting traffic lights on roundabouts, traffic "calming" and now this red-by-default standard.

It may just be me but it definitely feels like we're having to stop and start needlessly more now than when I first started driving, and I'm not on about because the roads are busier either. Even speed bumps must cause more pollution since instead of efficiently trotting along at 20-30mph you're having to slow down and speed up between each one.
I'm nobody special, just somebody who enjoys looking at and talking about infrastructure. Eager to learn as much as I can about the roads of the UK 🇬🇧 - please help me with this.
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

Britain wrote:I'm of the understanding that stopping and moving off uses more fuel and causes more pollution than travelling at a consistent speed or merely slowing and speeding up. Why then, in today's supposed climate-concerned world, are the roads being designed in such a way to cause traffic to stop and move off more often? 24/7 traffic lights instead of part time signals, converting roundabouts to cross roads, putting traffic lights on roundabouts, traffic "calming" and now this red-by-default standard.

It may just be me but it definitely feels like we're having to stop and start needlessly more now than when I first started driving, and I'm not on about because the roads are busier either. Even speed bumps must cause more pollution since instead of efficiently trotting along at 20-30mph you're having to slow down and speed up between each one.
That's an issue with petrol and Diesel engines. But the torque curve of electric (including hybrid) means it isn't really an issue. Of course more energy is needed in acceleration rather than constant motion but you're not having to waste fuel in an inefficient part of the engine torque.