Modified Traffic Signals & Junctions Reusing Signals and/or poles

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

OliverH

Modified Traffic Signals & Junctions Reusing Signals and/or poles

Post by OliverH »

Here's one in Leeds which had its lamp lens changed to a bike lens when the superhighway was installed; For a brief period, the new traffic light on the other side was covered up with the peek installed in 2017 still a standard traffic light.
L.J.D

Re: Modified Traffic Signals & Junctions Reusing Signals and/or poles

Post by L.J.D »

I've noticed this alot in Leeds they really like to reuse equipment where they can. In the past I've even seen them move old equipment into brand new NAL sockets. Unlike neighbouring Wakefield who are pretty silly because they usually redo the whole junction just to cater for some lane and kerb line adjustments. Here's a view of the example posted above bagged.
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

here's one that was modified when they were improving Cycling through this junction and here's one where they reused the Mellors and put them on new poles when they did the cycle superhighway works. also, the first one must be a problem for crashes as it had it's light-up/reflective bollard replaced twice after it was first installed and could also explain why there are 2 Peek elites as replacements for the Mellors or that they were installed to try to prevent accidents.
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

here's one where the Mellor was moved from the left pavement to the island.
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.41543 ... 312!8i6656 this junction has been modifed with the replacement of the signals that were in the way.
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

OliverH wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 21:41 here's one where the Mellor was moved from the left pavement to the island.
There never used to be a primary right turn signal head on the nearside at all there, which I always thought was quite unusual for a two-way road - it was split, with a nearside primary doing the ahead, and an offside primary doing the right. The nearside secondary was relocated to the splitter island to become a nearside primary, and the original nearside primary with the ahead arrow and the related secondaries were moved, along with the stop line, back to the ped crossing. You can kind of make out the original arrangement here. There's a great mix of different eras and brands of Mellor there as well.
OliverH wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 14:12 https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.41543 ... 312!8i6656 this junction has been modifed with the replacement of the signals that were in the way.
It looked a bit strange at first that they hadn't gone ELV for the sake of the lone MSH secondary, but it looks as though that one controller is running the whole roundabout which is fully MSH on the other arms.

The A6068 in Colne has just had some work done on a few sites where existing poles and signals have been relocated for a small bit of carriageway modification. The original ones were in retention sockets, so they were placed in NAL blocks for the duration of the works and then re-seated in new retention sockets in their new locations afterwards.

I can't think of many other examples of that these days though, off the top of my head.

Some of the signal heads at this well-known junction have been carried through two sets of works since installation, though all CLS Helios, so hard to tell. The LED modules in the 'original' heads are the older CLS type and are now slowly dimming to failure, though they are getting on for 15 years old now so that's probably to be expected, especially with them being earlier models.
Simon