Anderson-era motorway sign on Facebook Marketplace

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

A42_Sparks

Anderson-era motorway sign on Facebook Marketplace

Post by A42_Sparks »

Someone on Belfast Facebook marketplace is selling an original Anderson-era motorway sign from the M1 Belfast-Lisburn motorway (see attachment). From the ad it appears it was on a street somewhere near Broadway roundabout:

Believed to be one of the original Belfast motorway signs from the 1960's (due to its typeface/font) disposed during road upgrade. Height 85cm, Width 152cm

I just thought it was a fantastic item to be up for sale. I love the old-style arrow. I wonder why the '1' of M1 is so small, perhaps half of it flaked off. The sign looks in pretty good nick for its age, I can provide a direct link to the ad if anyone wants.
Attachments
m1.jpg
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Re: Anderson-era motorway sign on Facebook Marketplace

Post by Bryn666 »

A42_Sparks wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 22:35 Someone on Belfast Facebook marketplace is selling an original Anderson-era motorway sign from the M1 Belfast-Lisburn motorway (see attachment). From the ad it appears it was on a street somewhere near Broadway roundabout:

Believed to be one of the original Belfast motorway signs from the 1960's (due to its typeface/font) disposed during road upgrade. Height 85cm, Width 152cm

I just thought it was a fantastic item to be up for sale. I love the old-style arrow. I wonder why the '1' of M1 is so small, perhaps half of it flaked off. The sign looks in pretty good nick for its age, I can provide a direct link to the ad if anyone wants.
It looks more like a local council sign - it isn't a bona fide Anderson sign but it IS definitely from the early 1960s looking at it. Great find regardless.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
A42_Sparks

Post by A42_Sparks »

Bryn666 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 16:58 It looks more like a local council sign - it isn't a bona fide Anderson sign but it IS definitely from the early 1960s looking at it. Great find regardless.
Thanks Bryn, it does look a little 'home-made' now you mention it - not sure if it's just my eyes but the 'M' of 'Motorway' looks like it's in a slightly heavier version of Transport.

I used to collect old signs and 20 years ago I would've been away to buy this but I just don't have the space or the desire anymore. Be a shame if it's scrapped.
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

The two Ms have been swapped. The M of Motorway is Motorway, and the M of M1 is Transport.
A42_Sparks

Post by A42_Sparks »

AndyB wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 09:11 The two Ms have been swapped. The M of Motorway is Motorway, and the M of M1 is Transport.
You're right, I can't believe I didn't notice that! The M of 'Motorway' would match the size of the 1 of 'M1' better.

Are these letters removable? I assumed they were hand-painted.
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

My personal guess is that they are individual letters cut out and applied to the background rather than a sheet with the letters set in place to apply one row at a time. Comparing even 90s signs to 2010s signs is a revelation when you see how precisely the letters are now cut.
Richard_Fairhurst

Post by Richard_Fairhurst »

Maybe worth having a running thread for old signs spotted on eBay and similar? Here's some beautiful (restored) pre-Worboys signs that have just gone up on Gumtree:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/hobbies-colle ... 1408299746

https://www.gumtree.com/p/hobbies-colle ... 1402536308
Help map the world: openstreetmap.org
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

A42_Sparks wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 18:17 Are these letters removable? I assumed they were hand-painted.
I should have added - yes, they are removable, or the top of the 1 would still have been on the sign :)