Junctions with the most lanes/many lanes

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

OliverH

Junctions with the most lanes/many lanes

Post by OliverH »

Here's one with 7 (lane 6 splits into two lanes to make it seven)
Last edited by OliverH on Thu Dec 15, 2022 21:49, edited 2 times in total.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Re: Junctions with the most lanes/many lanes

Post by Big L »

I think the Hanger Lane Gyratory might compete.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Duke of Wellington Place, part of the Hyde Park Corner Gyratory, has seven lanes.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Big L wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 22:44 I think the Hanger Lane Gyratory might compete.
Of course. A quick check on GSV finds seven.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

Depending on you how you define a junction, there are 12 lanes here if you count under the gantries (+2 HS).
Let it snow.
Skipsy

Post by Skipsy »

7 here for a short section.
This section is 7 lanes for a short bit.
This has tons of lanes.
Odd one in that eastbound A41 traffic has 4 lanes that can go straight but only 3 lanes to go into, so it isn't clear which lanes should merge?
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

Alderpoint wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 05:33 Depending on you how you define a junction, there are 12 lanes here if you count under the gantries (+2 HS).
well then how about 14
TS

Post by TS »

OliverH wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:50
Alderpoint wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 05:33 Depending on you how you define a junction, there are 12 lanes here if you count under the gantries (+2 HS).
well then how about 14
Just west of there, it appears that this footbridge goes directly over 16 lanes of traffic, neatly arranged as eight carriageways of two lanes each:
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

The roundabout at M1 J33 now has 7 lanes at the north west corner.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

It depends on how you define a junction of course but I think a case could be made for the Brampton Interchange (A14 J22) following the completion of the A14 Huntingdon to Cambridge upgrade, an arrangement that involves the renewed A14 and A1 running alongside each other for about a mile and a half. If you count the lanes across the two roads between the points at which the two roads converge and then diverge, you get ten lanes - three each way on the A1 and two each way on the A14. At certain points the lane count rises above that if you include the additional connecting lanes joining the two roads at the northern and southern ends of the junction complex.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
jnty

Post by jnty »

Not one piece of continuous tarmac but at one point there are eight northbound lanes coming from the junction of the M8 and the Edinburgh City Bypass.

edit: actually if you count the northbound lanes level with the roundabout entry, there's 10!
Last edited by jnty on Thu Dec 15, 2022 17:46, edited 1 time in total.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

8 side-by-side on the Hanger Lane Gyratory
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

roadtester wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 13:20 It depends on how you define a junction of course but I think a case could be made for the Brampton Interchange (A14 J22) following the completion of the A14 Huntingdon to Cambridge upgrade, an arrangement that involves the renewed A14 and A1 running alongside each other for about a mile and a half. If you count the lanes across the two roads between the points at which the two roads converge and then diverge, you get ten lanes - three each way on the A1 and two each way on the A14. At certain points the lane count rises above that if you include the additional connecting lanes joining the two roads at the northern and southern ends of the junction complex.
If you’re going to allow parallel roads and sliproads across multiple carriageways in an interchange, then we return to the classic of the Worsley Braided Interchange on the M61 where you can easily find 16 lanes running parallel, plus hard shoulders.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Chris5156 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 00:25Duke of Wellington Place, part of the Hyde Park Corner Gyratory, has seven lanes.
We had visitors to the office from Australia, their first time in Europe. They rented a car from Heathrow, and the next day, a Sunday, drove into Central London. Driving obviously the same - what could be so difficult ...

Following morning it was described to us all. "We drove to that Hyde Park Corner place. Geez mate, they were all over the place. Then it said 'Victoria' on the lane, so I said that's what we want, stick with that, then suddenly, Geez, Victoria is three lanes to the flamin' LEFT. So I said go all the way round again. And was THAT an experience".
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Chris5156 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 09:02
roadtester wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 13:20 It depends on how you define a junction of course but I think a case could be made for the Brampton Interchange (A14 J22) following the completion of the A14 Huntingdon to Cambridge upgrade, an arrangement that involves the renewed A14 and A1 running alongside each other for about a mile and a half. If you count the lanes across the two roads between the points at which the two roads converge and then diverge, you get ten lanes - three each way on the A1 and two each way on the A14. At certain points the lane count rises above that if you include the additional connecting lanes joining the two roads at the northern and southern ends of the junction complex.
If you’re going to allow parallel roads and sliproads across multiple carriageways in an interchange, then we return to the classic of the Worsley Braided Interchange on the M61 where you can easily find 16 lanes running parallel, plus hard shoulders.
Actually the more I think about it, the less convinced I am myself, but the point I was trying to make (probably not very clearly) is this.

If there is a straightforward merge between two motorways or dual carriageways, I wouldn't just count the lanes across the two at/near where they join and the associated slip roads (let's call that number x) and say the junction therefore has x lanes.

However, the interface, if we can call it that, between the A1 and A14 is slightly different. It stretches over about a mile and a half and the two roads link in two places with (admittedly) two separate junction numbers (21 and 22) but forming what amounts functionally to one intersection. I think you could make the case for saying that the lanes of the A1 and A14 running separately but alongside each other through this junction complex are 'part of the junction' in a way that lanes counted across a straightforward merge perhaps are not

It's a similar (but less extreme) case to the Kegworth Interchange complex, which is/was spread over three M1 junction numbers but is functionally one interchange/junction. https://www.roads.org.uk/badjunctions/1-6-50-453
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
tom66

Post by tom66 »

Six: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.50761 ... 384!8i8192
(including bus lane)

Five:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.51040 ... 384!8i8192
(Also including bus lane - Honourable mention: anyone know what television programme the former roundabout here was featured in? The location is a pretty obvious clue.)
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

The footbridge/cycle track over this junction has three legs - a southern leg, a north-western leg and a north-eastern leg. You need to complete two of the legs to get anywhere sensible. If you do the NE leg and then Southern leg, you will pass over or under 24 lanes of traffic!
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

WHBM wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 09:35
Chris5156 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 00:25Duke of Wellington Place, part of the Hyde Park Corner Gyratory, has seven lanes.
We had visitors to the office from Australia, their first time in Europe. They rented a car from Heathrow, and the next day, a Sunday, drove into Central London. Driving obviously the same - what could be so difficult ...

Following morning it was described to us all. "We drove to that Hyde Park Corner place. Geez mate, they were all over the place. Then it said 'Victoria' on the lane, so I said that's what we want, stick with that, then suddenly, Geez, Victoria is three lanes to the flamin' LEFT. So I said go all the way round again. And was THAT an experience".
Did they go to Swindon? :D
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

7 lanes on St George Street Belfast, a road that connects the M2, A12 Westlink (and on to M1) and M3

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.60604 ... 384!8i8192

7 lanes on M2 Belfast (1 left for Duncrue north, 2 lanes southbound Duncrue, 2 lanes onto Nelson Street, 2 lanes M3) https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.61414 ... 384!8i8192
Jonathan24

Post by Jonathan24 »

wallmeerkat wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 16:34 7 lanes on St George Street Belfast, a road that connects the M2, A12 Westlink (and on to M1) and M3

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.60604 ... 384!8i8192

7 lanes on M2 Belfast (1 left for Duncrue north, 2 lanes southbound Duncrue, 2 lanes onto Nelson Street, 2 lanes M3) https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.61414 ... 384!8i8192
Is that last one not 8? Or are you not counting the bit where one lane splits into two as it only does that a few metres after the diverge?

EDIT: Or is it 9 if you include the bus lane?!