New Motorcycle Position Chevron Sign

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

swissferry

New Motorcycle Position Chevron Sign

Post by swissferry »

New motorcycle safety signs and chevrons painted on road have appeared on the A84 this week. Sign and info can be seen on this page. They are a Transport Scotland trial. Sign looks unusual and felt a bit complicated with motorbike, arrow and two pairs or chevrons on it. However the meaning became obvious when I saw the chevrons on the road. The chevrons are towards the left side of the lane for right hand bends and vice versa. They are used sparingly at bends where there is a motorcycle risk. E.g. sharp bends, bends with rockfaces. They also appear on the A85 and apparently on the A82 and A828. I'm not convinced they will reduce motorcycle injuries and suppose the painted chevrons could also slightly increase risk.
Ruperts Trooper

Re: New Motorcycle Position Chevron Sign

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

I saw these on the A85 north of Oban - I guess they're designed to move bikers out on a bend to increase their visibility to other road users, nothing unusual as that's a principle of IAM Roadsmart Advanced training.
Lifelong motorhead
delinquentwoody

Re: New Motorcycle Position Chevron Sign

Post by delinquentwoody »

I completed the NC500 route in May, there were many of these on different roads around the route. They were used over various 1 mile stretches with maybe 4 or 5 of them within each one mile stretch.