"Bypass" signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Re: "Bypass" signs

Post by Bryn666 »

crazyknightsfan wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 06:46 I believe the "bypass" signs were in use in certain Australian states before 1987, so this might be the only(?) example of an Australian signing practice being adopted in the UK rather than the other way around?

I'm not quite sure when they first appeared in Australia (probably Victoria) but they were incorporated in the first AS1742.8 (1990) but not in the preceding standard from 1978.
I'm not sure of the origins of the sign here, but it is plausible. Incidentally, Australia and New Zealand are probably the best two examples of 'new world' signage systems. The USA and Canada could learn something.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Bryn666 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:41Incidentally, Australia and New Zealand are probably the best two examples of 'new world' signage systems. The USA and Canada could learn something.
I've always really liked the Australian method of putting the name of a road alongside its route number or shield - really useful, in some situations.

In the UK it would clash with Guildford patching if we did exactly what they do, but there's probably some way of working it in.
SouthWest Philip

Post by SouthWest Philip »

Chris5156 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 15:15 I've always really liked the Australian method of putting the name of a road alongside its route number or shield - really useful, in some situations.

In the UK it would clash with Guildford patching if we did exactly what they do, but there's probably some way of working it in.
It's been done before...
"London Orbital", in that case placed above the road number.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

SouthWest Philip wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 18:20
Chris5156 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 15:15 I've always really liked the Australian method of putting the name of a road alongside its route number or shield - really useful, in some situations.

It's been done before...
"London Orbital", in that case placed above the road number.
"Ring Road" in numerous places, sometimes with the road number, sometimes not.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
crazyknightsfan

Post by crazyknightsfan »

Bryn666 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:41Incidentally, Australia and New Zealand are probably the best two examples of 'new world' signage systems. The USA and Canada could learn something.
I am no doubt biased, but I wholeheartedly agree.

Australian and New Zealand signage tends to hit the balance between sufficient destination/route information and readable signs. UK signs tend to be too overloaded with destination information for me to realistically take it all in at driving speeds, and US/Canada signage is too limited with the information provided. A giant BGS with nothing more than a route shield, cardinal direction and an arrow isn't necessary the best use of signing.

Having said that, Australian signage definitely suffers from non-compliance and outright ignorance of our very lenient standards and guidelines in much the same way as all the 'Botched Signs' examples.
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

IIRC, there used to be an old fashioned Bypass sign here. Probably removed when the A46 was upgraded in the 90's or 00's I guess. Slip road was signed Newark, A1 was signed Newark By-Pass.
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
jervi

Post by jervi »

Whilst driving South down the A1 yesterday they have replaced many signs along the current section they have been replacing the VRS on for the past few months (A47 to A1(M))
I noticed that we now have this rare bypass sign for Water Newton and it reminded me of this buried thread.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.56223 ... ?entry=ttu - previous sign.
water newton.jpg
Lockwood

Post by Lockwood »

I want to say there's one of those somewhere in Norfolk.

I'm sure I've been past one when working out of Swaffham, but that was in 2015 and I've slept since then. Couldn't even tell you which direction I was heading in from there.