Why do we use wig-wags instead of normal traffic lights at level crossings?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Gareth

Re: Why do we use wig-wags instead of normal traffic lights at level crossings?

Post by Gareth »

Online videos suggest that there is no red & amber phase at level crossings. They simply switch off from red.
traffic-light-man

Re: Why do we use wig-wags instead of normal traffic lights at level crossings?

Post by traffic-light-man »

Chris Bertram wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 15:14This is a two-lamp signal, functioning like an RAG signal but with no green lamp. You find them at pedestrian crossings as well. The sequence is (blank) - A - R - R+A - (blank).
I don't believe they use the starting amber (at level crossings at least), the red lamp just extinguishes. They're also quite good at co-locating level crossing signals with regular traffic signals when required and one nuance I've noticed is that the traffic signals generally change to red before the crossing signals activate, perhaps as is expected, but then when the crossing signals activate, they omit the closing amber on any heads with an associated RAG signal head, presumably to prevent there being two differing signals being shown to the same traffic.

I'd also forgotten that Australia uses (used?) wig wags in the general UK style, with a leaving amber, for emergency vehicle stations, however their level crossings generally follow the US style.
Simon