Vintage street light

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

JW_runner

Vintage street light

Post by JW_runner »

Just trying to find out more information about an old street light near where I grew up. Link to the street light is: https://www.google.com/maps/@53.1000458 ... Q3ubCg!2e0

Can anyone point me in the direction of where I could find out how old the metal part is? It looks ancient and also looks like it might not have been electric originally? The odd thing is that it’s the only one like it in the area, all the others are concrete, and just a couple of streets away they’ve started using the new LEDs, so it seems odd this one is still there.

Thank you in advance if you can help.
OliverH

Re: Vintage street light

Post by OliverH »

JW_runner wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 17:59 Just trying to find out more information about an old street light near where I grew up. Link to the street light is: https://www.google.com/maps/@53.1000458 ... Q3ubCg!2e0

Can anyone point me in the direction of where I could find out how old the metal part is? It looks ancient and also looks like it might not have been electric originally? The odd thing is that it’s the only one like it in the area, all the others are concrete, and just a couple of streets away, they’ve started using the new LEDs, so it seems odd this one is still there.

Thank you in advance if you can help.
It looks like it was post-top but had an adapter added when the lighting changed from gas to electric. I have seen some like this in Harrogate, but I suspect they have gone now.
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

swissferry

Post by swissferry »

Have wondered about the history of this one in Coatbridge.
Kevin Roads

Post by Kevin Roads »

L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

Another old looking one. Can't tell if it was always electric or was gas at one point. There's another if you scroll the camera back.
DavidB

Post by DavidB »