strange lighting columns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

OliverH

strange lighting columns

Post by OliverH »

Seen these on GSV and wondered why they were here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Woo ... -1.5961186

There also seemed to be poles of a sigh if you go back in time on GSV.
Last edited by OliverH on Wed Jul 28, 2021 21:56, edited 1 time in total.
Truvelo

Re: strange lighting columns

Post by Truvelo »

There was originally concrete columns mounted on the verges then by 2012 there were new steel columns in the central reservation with SON lanterns. By 2021 these columns had their SON lanterns replaced with LED. This is all too common where the last generation SON lanterns had short lives due to the imminent arrival of LED which was unforeseen in 2010.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

Truvelo wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 21:36 There was originally concrete columns mounted on the verges then by 2012 there were new steel columns in the central reservation with SON lanterns. By 2021 these columns had their SON lanterns replaced with LED. This is all too common where the last generation SON lanterns had short lives due to the imminent arrival of LED which was unforeseen in 2010.
I actually meant to show this
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

It looks like a redundant column.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

Truvelo wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 22:57 It looks like a redundant column.
what's interesting is that in 2008 the rightmost one was standing next to a concrete column.
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

Same with this one I've never actually seen a lantern or bracket on it. Even when they were concrete the metal pole remained empty and when they did the upgrade to steel they left that one there and that was before any signs were even attached to it.
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

reminds me of the ones near Rochdale at the M62 junction.
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

Only thing I can think is maybe the councils involved put them up before the street lighting PFI contract was signed and then signed the PFI contract after and just left them because responsibility went over to the PFI company. Maybe the PFI company just left them because they had no lanterns on them. Because as we've seen in the past PFI companies replace brand new columns and lanterns that are newish installed by the council before. So these things get overlooked in favour of standardised column types and lanterns.
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

OliverH wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 21:25 Seen these on GSV and wondered why they were here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Woo ... -1.5961186

There also seemed to be poles of a sigh if you go back in time on GSV.
one thing I could think of why they would be here is that the council planned a cut trough here and to someware.
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

Truvelo wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 21:36 There was originally concrete columns mounted on the verges then by 2012 there were new steel columns in the central reservation with SON lanterns. By 2021 these columns had their SON lanterns replaced with LED. This is all too common where the last generation SON lanterns had short lives due to the imminent arrival of LED which was unforeseen in 2010.
Yeah I noticed that. In Leeds it's seems incredibly wasteful scrapping SON lanterns that only got 5 or less years use for LED. I saw in one of local rags that the PFI is costing twice as much now because they've had to change the specifications to LED and it's also amongst the most expensive in the country to run. At least in Wakefield they got 15 years out of their SON lanterns. So the current LED upgrade in Wakefield is value for money.

Here's the article in question