Odd keep right signs in Smethwick

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

linuxrocks

Odd keep right signs in Smethwick

Post by linuxrocks »

What does the panel think of these signs on Tollhouse Way (A457) in Smethwick? The sign the on the back of this one says the same thing. The road is a 4 lane dual carriage way, and I assume the signs are to direct cyclists on the new cycle path on the other side of the road, which I'm standing on to take the picture, although this makes no sense if you are coming the other way. I think a sign saying "use cycle path" would be better.

jervi

Re: Odd keep right signs in Smethwick

Post by jervi »

GSV of the sign?
I'd say it should never be encouraged for a cyclist to have to be in a right hand lane of any road, and right side diverges/merges of cyclists should be avoided in most circumstances, even when there is one lane

No signs for this one, but here is a cycle diverge on the right side of a dual carriageway
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.82217 ... 384!8i8192
Not quite the same, but on the A23 towards Brighton there is this sign: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.87144 ... 312!8i6656
which takes cyclists onto a shared use pavement to the roundabout where it ends
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.86809 ... 384!8i8192
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

jervi wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 16:34 GSV of the sign?....
Since you asked so politely, here.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
TS

Post by TS »

That's ludicrous!

It's almost as if it is aimed at motorists, asking them to keep right to give cyclists space.

If that is the intention, it is very badly laid out!
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

seems to be a new-ish sign, using GSV hitory function it is there in September 2020 but not in April 2019. A little further on in 2020 there's a half-*rsed cyclepath under construction near the junction with bidirectional cycle symbols! by April 2021 those symbols have been burnt off. The cycle path reaches an "end of cycle route" sign after about 20m, cyclists that have gone onto this path are offered the choice of parking up(??), dismounting and walking, cycling on a non-shared use footway or if heading down Rolfe Street re-entering the road (beyond the "end of cycle route" sign) to use a narrow gutter advisory cycle lane.
Meanwhile a certain type of driver fumes at there being no cyclists using this cycleway.