Double Yellow Lines

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

linuxrocks

Double Yellow Lines

Post by linuxrocks »

Here is a collection of the worst double yellow lines in the UK. I suspect most have been posted already on the forum somewhere.
swissferry

Re: Double Yellow Lines

Post by swissferry »

Double yellows were painted alongside the existing edge of carriage way white lines on the A809 last year. They are not on Google Street View yet but can be seen on youtube. Best views are from around 49 seconds.
belgarion

Post by belgarion »

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.24580 ... authuser=1

There's none on Street View here, but it looks like the road has ben resurfaced now and they've put double yellows down both sides, my car tyres were touching the lines on both sides most of the way up. We went to see the Bracklin Falls, this is the road to the car park.

So did they have issues with idiots parking on the road?

Its barely wide enough to drive on, and there's barely any passing places.

Vince
Dougman

Post by Dougman »

belgarion wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 22:09 https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.24580 ... authuser=1

There's none on Street View here, but it looks like the road has ben resurfaced now and they've put double yellows down both sides, my car tyres were touching the lines on both sides most of the way up. We went to see the Bracklin Falls, this is the road to the car park.

Vince
I would take a guess that it's to prevent people parking on the verges, the road boundary must extend off to the side somewhere.
lose: (v): to suffer the deprivation of - to lose one's job; to lose one's life.

loose: (a): free or released from fastening or attachment - a loose end.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Oxford Road, Moseley - a bit of a wiggle here: https://goo.gl/maps/J9cujJbLQyQxqKgP7
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

Fortunately, I'm not aware of any odd or pointless examples in my area. I can think of a few 'borderline' cases but certainly nothing worth linking.
linuxrocks wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:38 Here is a collection of the worst double yellow lines in the UK. I suspect most have been posted already on the forum somewhere.
There's a few I've seen before, but more that I haven't... I suspect the example in New Brighton is on a slipway down to the Mersey Estuary and it's high tide at the time the picture was taken.

I have literally no idea what's going on with the last example in that link - the one with the flower going up the wall! Surely that's got to be some sort of weird art project!?
The journey is never over until the arrival.
yen_powell

Post by yen_powell »

haymansafc wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 22:02 Fortunately, I'm not aware of any odd or pointless examples in my area. I can think of a few 'borderline' cases but certainly nothing worth linking.
linuxrocks wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:38 Here is a collection of the worst double yellow lines in the UK. I suspect most have been posted already on the forum somewhere.
There's a few I've seen before, but more that I haven't... I suspect the example in New Brighton is on a slipway down to the Mersey Estuary and it's high tide at the time the picture was taken.

I have literally no idea what's going on with the last example in that link - the one with the flower going up the wall! Surely that's got to be some sort of weird art project!?
That was Banksy painting on the side of the working mens' club in Pollards Row. My mate had to get the lines removed from the footway after it went in.
https://goo.gl/maps/N3BHvYRAQRvvy6fC7
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Yellow lines are ugly. They should use the thinner type as standard...

101 Dale St
https://maps.app.goo.gl/XoXw28yLVf1xGyQ77

Or, where the restriction applies the whole street or block, just stick to full size no parking/waiting sign at the entrance, like in much of the rest of the world.
Skipsy

Post by Skipsy »

Instead of making the disabled bay bigger, they just painted DYLs here

Side note, I always find it silly when they have single yellow lines in tight alleyways, yards and courts, like I don't undestand the point? here and this one which is even more complex, considering to the left of that sign is only a short stretch of single yellow before it becomes doubles.
It makes me wonder why they bother making it so complicated?
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

Skipsy wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 17:57 Instead of making the disabled bay bigger, they just painted DYLs here
I'm guessing that there's been issues with that bay and they want to make it quite clear that it's separate to the other bays. I don't recall seeing a sign specifically threatening other blue badge holders with having their car towed before. And the car parked there looks to be one with a wheelchair ramp, so it really does need the full length of the bay.
There's another disabled bay over the road which has neither the sign restricting it to one particular vehicle, nor the yellow lines - so I think these go together.
lexynoise

Post by lexynoise »

belgarion wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 22:09 my car tyres were touching the lines on both sides most of the way up. We went to see the Bracklin Falls, this is the road to the car park.

Vince
Yellow lines don't just cover the main carriageway, they also include pavements (outside London) and verges. This is a good way to stop people parking on the grass if the car park is full, or if they just don't want to pay for parking. Especially in a beauty spot like that where you wouldn't want the grass churned up with tyre tracks.

A lot of quaint, pretty rural areas had a lot of problems when lockdowns were lifted over the summer. Massive numbers of people travelling to them, full car parks, people dumping their cars in stupid places rather than leaving and going somewhere else. As a result, many councils painted new yellow lines and added more restrictions.

I live in Aberdeenshire, not far from the Cairngorms. The number of cars parked on blind corners on 60mph single carriageways was just obscene, and very dangerous.
Gareth wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 21:57 Or, where the restriction applies the whole street or block, just stick to full size no parking/waiting sign at the entrance, like in much of the rest of the world.
We have those here - they're called Restricted Parking Zones. It's a lot of effort for councils to set them up, so you mostly see them in residential areas near town and city centres that suffer from a lot of commuter parking hogging all the bays.
Skipsy wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 17:57 I always find it silly when they have single yellow lines in tight alleyways, yards and courts, like I don't undestand the point?

It makes me wonder why they bother making it so complicated?
Two reasons really.

The first is that yellow lines apply to all motorised vehicles, not just cars. This stops motorcycles being left in narrow alleys and potentially blocking them.

The second reason is bin days. You may see single yellow lines in an alley with a weird restriction like 'Wednesdays 8am-10am'. That's so the bin van can get down the alley.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

lexynoise wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:34 Two reasons really.

The first is that yellow lines apply to all motorised vehicles, not just cars. This stops motorcycles being left in narrow alleys and potentially blocking them.

The second reason is bin days. You may see single yellow lines in an alley with a weird restriction like 'Wednesdays 8am-10am'. That's so the bin van can get down the alley.
A third might be that by making it a specific parking restriction a traffic warden (or civil parking enforcement officer) can issue a ticket. Dealing with obstruction would require a police officer.
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

The Longbenton area of Newcastle upon Tyne restricts parking between something like 11am and 3pm on weekdays to prevent DWP staff from parking on residential streets.
linuxrocks

Post by linuxrocks »

https://metro.co.uk/2022/02/15/kent-mos ... -16110133/

I wonder if they will rub them out when the restriction is removed.
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

AndyB wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 20:16 The Longbenton area of Newcastle upon Tyne restricts parking between something like 11am and 3pm on weekdays to prevent DWP staff from parking on residential streets.
Here it is. Permit holders only 10-11 and 2-3. A rather cute restriction.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

AndyB wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 00:19
AndyB wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 20:16 The Longbenton area of Newcastle upon Tyne restricts parking between something like 11am and 3pm on weekdays to prevent DWP staff from parking on residential streets.
Such restrictions are common in outer London, a prohibition for a random hour in the middle of the day prevents commuters parking all day and catching the train into the centre, while minimising the effect on anyone else and being much easier to enforce than a time limit. I've never seen them anywhere else (except Epping but for this purpose that doesn't count as not being outer London).
jnty

Post by jnty »

the cheesecake man wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:33
AndyB wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 00:19
Such restrictions are common in outer London, a prohibition for a random hour in the middle of the day prevents commuters parking all day and catching the train into the centre, while minimising the effect on anyone else and being much easier to enforce than a time limit. I've never seen them anywhere else (except Epping but for this purpose that doesn't count as not being outer London).

Edinburgh's priority parking zones do similar with intermittently marked bays carrying 90-minute weekday restrictions (an example). Allegedly the restricted periods are staggered across different zones so that in theory one parking attendant could move from one zone to the next progressively throughout the day.
Last edited by jnty on Wed Feb 16, 2022 14:56, edited 2 times in total.
jnty

Post by jnty »

swissferry

Post by swissferry »

Reminds me of the parking restrictions in Farnworth, Bolton where you can't park on one side of the street on odd dates and even dates on the other. Does anywhere else do this?
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Never seen that in this country. It's pretty common abroad.