Traffic Light controllers

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

AdamR1

Traffic Light controllers

Post by AdamR1 »

Hello everyone, I'm relatively new to this site, I have a question about my GEC Type 125 Controller (TTL), I've had it since July 2017 and it doesn't seem to function properly, my grandad serviced that exact controller between October 1983-November 2008 when is was in use and neither of us can figure out what to do with it, does anyone have any suggestions, I'd Really appreciate it
Conekicker

Re: Traffic Light controllers

Post by Conekicker »

What is wrong with it - not that I'd have the first clue how to fix it of course!
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
AdamR1

Post by AdamR1 »

The lights don't illuminate when We flip the switch to power the lights on, the controller has 2 consistent faults that it alternates between it's either a fault with the red lights or green conflict, but the bulbs and the transformers are fully functional, as far as we can tell, so we're not overly sure what the fault is unfortunately.
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

I'm not certain about how the lamp monitoring works on something of this era so I'm going out on a bit of a limb, but if it needs them, have you made sure there's at least two red lamps on each vehicle phase, wired to the relevant red lamp outputs? If the lamp monitor isn't seeing the load it's expecting to see, it could (should) constantly fault and switch the controller off.

I can't really think of anything for the green conflict fault, other than checking there aren't any wiring faults between the greens and making sure the relays aren't trying to switch on the greens together for whatever reason. The symptoms of a green conflict would be the same though, it'd turn the lamps off, I'd hope. I suspect your Grandad probably has a much better clue about the internal wiring of it though if he was a maintenance engineer!

Just a quick note for the SMT - should this perhaps be moved to Street Furniture?
Simon
AdamR1

Post by AdamR1 »

Thank you Simon, I really need to check everything over again, me and my dad bought an old table that we were going to use as a works bench, but unfortunately there's a lot of clutter in the way at the moment, just a question, with the terminals for the RTLs, there's two sets, one for each way, should 2 RTLs be wired up to each, or would I be able to get away with having 1 RTL wired up to each terminal, so that there's 2 RTLs coming out of the controller from the seperate lamp terminals?
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

AdamR1 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 14:27just a question, with the terminals for the RTLs, there's two sets, one for each way, should 2 RTLs be wired up to each, or would I be able to get away with having 1 RTL wired up to each terminal, so that there's 2 RTLs coming out of the controller from the seperate lamp terminals?
If it was set up for operating a crossing with two opposing vehicle approaches, I'd imagine you'd definitely need a lamp load on the red output for each direction as a minimum. From what you've said, it sounds like there's only one terminal for the red lamps on each approach, so I'm wondering if it's plausible that it's expecting to see a certain amount of load on the red lamp output for each direction to cover two red lamps (i.e. 100w), but of course it could be that it does only need one lamp connected to each to keep it happy.
Simon
AdamR1

Post by AdamR1 »

Ahh right, that's how I had it set up before, one lamp off of each output, I was hoping to get my hands on another 125 controller, to see if mine was actually faulty of if I had set it up incorrectly, but unfortunately, the final 2 in my area were removed a couple of months ago, so I'm going to have to keep trying to figure out what to do with it