A500 Prism (?) Sign

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Duple

A500 Prism (?) Sign

Post by Duple »

Has anyone ever seen this function?

What does it say? It does also seem to be positioned rather strangely as well..
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Re: A500 Prism (?) Sign

Post by Big L »

No, but I imagine it's for motorway closures.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
jervi

Post by jervi »

Due to the lack of any flashing lights on it, I presume it is just an informational sign.
I don't know that area well, but would there be any reason for delays in the area? or is there an event day Park & Ride for things like football nearby it could direct to?

If it was used because a road if often closed (which I don't see a reason why there) then it would have lights (I think) like this https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.85542 ... 384!8i8192
Duple

Post by Duple »

jervi wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 17:26 Due to the lack of any flashing lights on it, I presume it is just an informational sign.
I don't know that area well, but would there be any reason for delays in the area? or is there an event day Park & Ride for things like football nearby it could direct to?

If it was used because a road if often closed (which I don't see a reason why there) then it would have lights (I think) like this https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.85542 ... 384!8i8192
It's just before Junction 15 of the M6 so I suppose could be in relation to that being closed, but like you say it would presumably have flashing lights if it was to warn someone of something.
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

Given the prisms for the flag signs at the roundabout down the road, I'd suggest it's something to do with a closure of the M6 as well. My other thought was perhaps a 'commercial vehicles stop if directed' type sign for a DVSA checkpoint, but I don't think there's any around there and I don't think the signage at the roundabout supports that either.
Simon
brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

Never seen any of these prism signs work (think there is one on the opposite side too). Never seen the motorway signs used either despite all the closures.