Bus Lane camera mistakes woman’s sweater for number plate

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Peter350

Bus Lane camera mistakes woman’s sweater for number plate

Post by Peter350 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-58959930

One thing I can’t get my head round is why the woman was walking through the bus lane in the first place. Wonder if she was trying to test the system to make sure it worked…
avtur

Re: Bus Lane camera mistakes woman’s sweater for number plate

Post by avtur »

Peter350 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 15:43 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-58959930

One thing I can’t get my head round is why the woman was walking through the bus lane in the first place. Wonder if she was trying to test the system to make sure it worked…
I know there is a funny side to this story but the ticket should not have been issued in the first place, in my mind this is this sort of error that devalues automated enforcement systems.
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

avtur wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 18:25
Peter350 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 15:43 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-58959930

I know there is a funny side to this story but the ticket should not have been issued in the first place, in my mind this is this sort of error that devalues automated enforcement systems.
Looks like she was crossing the road at the time. Quite common for that road as it's bus only and in the main tourist area.

I'm surprised that nobody checks the images before approving the issue of said notices. But I suppose it's cheaper to send an apology letter afterwards than pay someone to sit there checking for several hours a week.
Little Owl

Post by Little Owl »

"I think it's bizarre and very funny, this poor lady has been changed over into a vehicle rather than a person overnight, " she said.
I can’t help but think about the Were-Car from Futurama.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Although I have not read about it causing a problem, a number of European countries have numberplates of the form XX-123-YY. It is just possible that the number of the placehold "3" is actually "0", but is interpretted as "O", making the number a valid UK number.
M19

Post by M19 »

So what this is telling us is that any of us could mock up a number plate, print it, possibly on A3 and then walk across a camera’d bus lane holding it in front.

I know what I’m going to do with my next numpty encounter: 🤔
M19