Roundabout lane guidance signing

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jervi

Re: Roundabout lane guidance signing

Post by jervi »

Just remembered this roundabout
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.70975 ... a=!3m1!1e3

The highways team here went right off the books and used right deconfliction arrows! Even one of them is a right deconfliction arrow/ahead combo.
Although looking on GSV it was resurfaced in the past year or so. And now the bendy arrows are no more, although there elephant prints here that were renewed https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.70950 ... 384!8i8192

Hmm, is the A607 ahead or right? or both? https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.70940 ... 384!8i8192
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Lane discipline tends to be very poor at the A212/A232 gyratory near Central Croydon. From here is worst.

Traffic going left on the A232 eastbound is usually fine. They've got the arrow and take it from the left lane. Many others don't tend to sort themselves out on the approach and try to do so between the point viewed from and the next lights. Some zoom up the underpass on the outside lane and then intend to head for the inside lane of the A232 westbound so they can immediately exit or even worse the A212 southbound. Also too many lanes for non-speedsters to cope with. I'm usually very careful not to get immediately alongside someone here without being sure that they are paying attention. If I'm first at the lights and unless I do have a boy-racer next to me, I will try to make a very smart start at the green. Don't know if signage would make a blind bit of difference.
Rob590

Post by Rob590 »

I geniunely don't know the correct lane for onwards travel on the A688 here. It is marginally past 12 o'clock and immediately S2 after the roundabout. I'm inclined to use the right hand lane and used to always do that, but having seen enough drivers using both I tend now to stick left and keep an eye our for people coming across from the right, as I feel more confident that I can view the situation as a whole from that lane. But it is not good.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

It’s not great, but Exeter have done this.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

Rob590 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:52 I geniunely don't know the correct lane for onwards travel on the A688 here. It is marginally past 12 o'clock and immediately S2 after the roundabout. I'm inclined to use the right hand lane and used to always do that, but having seen enough drivers using both I tend now to stick left and keep an eye our for people coming across from the right, as I feel more confident that I can view the situation as a whole from that lane. But it is not good.
That just isn't good. If a two lane approach leads to a single lane exit, then it should be signed definitively with which lane to use to continue onwards.
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

Reminds me of these. The old signs were worse, and the ones before that even more so!
Peter Freeman

Post by Peter Freeman »

Big L wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 18:58 It’s not great, but Exeter have done this.
Understandable and useful, but would be much better without the vertical dashed line (more representative of the real world).
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

I've never seen "lawful" spelt "great" before.
It is, however, very Australian. Presumably they employ one or someone has been on their hols... :roll:
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

stryder wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 14:24 I came across this advanced guide sign from Australia which indicates which lane a driver should go in for a roundabout to take their exit. Has any equivalent of this been used in the UK?

Capture.JPG

Would the closest equivalent be the GET IN LANE signs on the approaches to some roundabouts?
Once one starts to get to complicated road diagrams, numbering the lanes and the exits to which they lead might help. In this case, the numbers "1" and "2" woudl appear at the bottom of the signs and the numbers would be repeated next to each exit name.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

This approach to the A17 Sutterton roundabout has a large "Get in lane ahead sign" followed by a normal diagram sign followed by the actual lane designation sign. Confusingly the designation sign is less then clear as it uses straight on to mean both the 2nd & 3rd exits, which in reality are sort of 10 o'clock and 3 o'clock, with the 4th exit being almost a hairpin full lap to get to.

Even worse, the lane designations from this entry are also contrary to the designations from the previous approach which puts traffic in conflict as you then have the left hand lane continuing past the A16 Boston exit whereas traffic having joined from the previous exit will be signed to use both left and right lanes to exit for A16 Boston. At that point left hand lane turns right but right hand lane turns left. The council can't understand why there's accidents as both lanes are doing exactly as they're signed to do.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Conekicker wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 15:39
It is, however, very Australian. Presumably they employ one or someone has been on their hols... :roll:
In fairness the TSM and TSRGD are utterly useless for dealing with the UK's signalised hamburger multi-cut through roundabout fetish. We need to sort this out urgently.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Bryn666 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 14:46
Conekicker wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 15:39
In fairness the TSM and TSRGD are utterly useless for dealing with the UK's signalised hamburger multi-cut through roundabout fetish. We need to sort this out urgently.
Yes TSRGD needs a new item in S12-7.

I'm not convinced that the two examples in the withdrawn IAN145 at Fig 6.1 are the best design TBH. I think some "ghost" stubs, like on S12-28-5 might be needed. We certainly need a few real world examples to work out some design rules.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.