strange covering on street light bowl

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Tom Williams

strange covering on street light bowl

Post by Tom Williams »

Hi all,

I was driving through Hereford on Monday morning, when I saw this weird covering on the bowls of several traffic lights. I have seen this in several places with no significance to any near-by buildings and am interested in what this might be for.

you can find them here: https://www.google.com/maps/@52.0686627 ... 384!8i8192

Tom
Chris Bertram

Re: strange covering on street light bowl

Post by Chris Bertram »

Tom Williams wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 21:42 Hi all,

I was driving through Hereford on Monday morning, when I saw this weird covering on the bowls of several traffic lights. I have seen this in several places with no significance to any near-by buildings and am interested in what this might be for.

you can find them here: https://www.google.com/maps/@52.0686627 ... 384!8i8192

Tom
It's illuminating a pedestrian crossing, I think.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

It’s an Urbis ZX3 Zebra lantern. They’re reasonably common in many towns and cities, but maybe not so much in Hereford.

The zebra stripes direct the light to form an illuminated path across the road on the line of the crossing. They also help indicate the presence of a crossing to approaching traffic, though whether many people notice the stripes or not, I couldn’t say.

The manufacturer produces many lanterns with this modification - they have a brochure here.
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

Chris, I hadn’t made the connection, but before the advent of LED lighting, the Urbis ZX3 had indeed become the standard lantern for zebra crossings in NI, all of which on public roads have to be directly lit.