What type of crossing is this & is it legal?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jervi

What type of crossing is this & is it legal?

Post by jervi »

So today comments for a TRO have opened for a new crossing of the A273 at Burgess Hill, West Sussex where Gatehouse lane crosses. When the A273 crossed over the Gateshouse Lane, general traffic was stopped up at the junction, however is an important route for cyclists crossing over the A273 to go to the former NCN Route 20 to Brighton/Crawley. Its also used by pedestrians to access to the woodlands and horse riders apparently too.

https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/media/16874/cms9027.pdf

Currently an refuge island is provided, however it is proposed to replace it with a "signal-controlled pedestrian, cyclist and equestrian crossing". This is strange because all other orders for crossings made explicitly say "Puffin", "Toucan" or "Pegasus". Also how this proposed crossing is designed to be used by cyclists is not clear. They they use the wide crossing inline with the carriageway which is marked as "verge"? I presume this is designed for horses in mind. Or do cyclists use the "footway" where there are "cyclists dismount" signs?

This TRO from a few months ago explicitly says "Install a Pegasus/toucan crossings on Rusper Road..." for an example for what should be here IMO.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: What type of crossing is this & is it legal?

Post by Steven »

It looks like a form of Tiger Crossing to me, but with additional equine facilities.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

From the SABRE Wiki: Tiger Crossing :

A tiger crossing (officially parallel crossing) is a type of pedestrian & cycle crossing that works in a similar way to zebra crossings, in that traffic should give way to users crossing. Unlike a zebra crossing, bicycles can use the crossing by following the specially marked cycle route alongside without the need to dismount. Tiger crossings are designed to be used where a cycle route crosses the road at a perpendicular direction, and not to switch from cycle

... Read More
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

Unless I've missed something (I did just look at a few lines and the drawing), it looks like a Pegasus crossing with a parallel Toucan, which is fairly typical for stand-alone crossing points with Equestrian facilities.

Worth noting that the TRO hasn't got a signal design on it, those symbols are just indicative.
Simon
jervi

Post by jervi »

traffic-light-man wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 14:12 Unless I've missed something (I did just look at a few lines and the drawing), it looks like a Pegasus crossing with a parallel Toucan, which is fairly typical for stand-alone crossing points with Equestrian facilities.

Worth noting that the TRO hasn't got a signal design on it, those symbols are just indicative.
Having a Toucan & Pegasus Crossing would make sense, and if that was the case I'd have no dramas about it, but due to "Cyclists dismount" signs listed on the key and marked on the drawing it appears that it is a Puffin & Pegasus crossing instead, which is an issue. I've sent an email to the council TRO address asking for clarification on what is proposed here and how cyclists legally cross over, including those who are unable to dismount.
Steven wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:39 It looks like a form of Tiger Crossing to me, but with additional equine facilities.
This is a signal crossing rather than an uncontrolled one, but that being said a parallel (tiger) crossing including pedestrian, cycle & equine sections would certainly be interesting!

From the SABRE Wiki: Tiger Crossing :

A tiger crossing (officially parallel crossing) is a type of pedestrian & cycle crossing that works in a similar way to zebra crossings, in that traffic should give way to users crossing. Unlike a zebra crossing, bicycles can use the crossing by following the specially marked cycle route alongside without the need to dismount. Tiger crossings are designed to be used where a cycle route crosses the road at a perpendicular direction, and not to switch from cycle

... Read More