MS3 Multicoloured Legends

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

traffic-light-man

MS3 Multicoloured Legends

Post by traffic-light-man »

As we've probably all noted, the MS4 message signs used by HA/HE/NH are bi-colour (or more recently tri-colour) in order to display symbols requiring the use of both red and amber colours, such as speed limits, red Xs and certain warning signs.

Presumably it's the same across the network, but NH have been replacing the older EMI (typically gantry mounted, these are the message signs that sit alongside gantry mounted MS1 matrix signals) and MS3 (the stand-alone message signs with a integral matrix signal in the right hand end) message signs on a lot of the motorway network in the North West. The replacement signs are generally of the same size and format as those they're replacing, but using a display technology more akin to the MS4, where it's just one large panel of LEDs with a very small pixel pitch.

Save for the apparent use of Transport font rather than replicating VMS 'font', I think I had only seen these being used in exactly the same way as their predecessors, where the symbols used closely resembled those displayed by the 'proper' matrix panels.

However, last night, I was driving down the M62 E/B towards J9 and noted the MS3 message signs were displaying lane closure wickets in full colour, with red T-bars and regular 'traffic sign' arrow heads, essentially copying the style that would be displayed on an MS4.

Is it now commonplace for even non-Smart Motorway signage to be bi-coloured, and are there plans to roll-out a wider range of signs to be displayed on the more traditional styled equipment such as these MS3s?
Simon