Dorman Smith TrafiLamp Wanted

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Dbrace0894

Dorman Smith TrafiLamp Wanted

Post by Dbrace0894 »

Hi everyone. New to the forum. I am an avid road sign/light collector here in the United States. Recently increased my interest in signs, etc from other countries. Currently, I am desperately seeking to purchase a few vintage Dorman Smith TrafiLamps. I would really like to add both an amber and red colored lens lamp to the collection.

If anyone has one for sale, please let me know. I’ll pay for expedited, secure, insured shipping no matter what the cost.

Attaching a picture of the exact style I am looking for.

Thank for the help!
Dbrace0894

Re: Dorman Smith TrafiLamp Wanted

Post by Dbrace0894 »

Here are some pictures:
IMG_0546.JPG
IMG_0545.JPG
IMG_0544.JPG
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

While I have both an amber and a blue example of these, unfortunately I'm not sure I'm looking to pass them on as they're suitably retro to keep hold of!

I can't say I've ever seen a red one of these lamps, though. Although red lamps have become a regular sight on the 'euro' barriers used at full road closures on the trunk road network in recent years, they're not actually permitted (to the best of my knowledge) and haven't been since the change to amber when the lamps with paraffin burners were still the order of the day. There's a chance the red version might've been used in rail applications though, I suppose.
Simon
Dbrace0894

Post by Dbrace0894 »

Great information! Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time provide this information. This is good to know.

If you ever decide to sell one, I could pay $350 USD plus pay for secure, insured, expedited shipping to here in the US, no matter what the cost. Really would like
To have one (or two) in my Collection.

Thanks again for this information!

Sincerely
Kevin
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

You could try contacting this lot:

https://www.tmca.org.uk/

You might get (very) lucky and find one of their members have some old kit in stock.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Dbrace0894

Post by Dbrace0894 »

Thank you so much for the Lead! I’ll check it out now. Really appreciate it!
Dbrace0894

Post by Dbrace0894 »

No luck on the lead unfortunately.

If anyone has one they are willing to part with, again, would be willing to spend $350USD per light plus the cost of secure, insured, expedited shipping to the US.

Thanks for the help!
PhebeB

Post by PhebeB »

Hi Kevin. I have 2 of these lamps if you are interested?

Kind regards
Phebe