Gaelic font colour on brown tourist signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

swissferry

Gaelic font colour on brown tourist signs

Post by swissferry »

I like the use of colour to differentiate English and Gaelic on signs. Yellow on green and green on white is fine, but could a better contrast than orange on brown have been found for tourist signs?
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Re: Gaelic font colour on brown tourist signs

Post by Chris5156 »

swissferry wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 21:55 I like the use of colour to differentiate English and Gaelic on signs. Yellow on green and green on white is fine, but could a better contrast than orange on brown have been found for tourist signs?
That is the same yellow used on green signs, isn’t it? The shade of orange used on road signs is noticeably darker.
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

swissferry wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 21:55 I like the use of colour to differentiate English and Gaelic on signs. Yellow on green and green on white is fine, but could a better contrast than orange on brown have been found for tourist signs?
Being slightly dyslexic, being able to filter on colour or font makes the sign far easier to read. Ireland as apposed to Wales especially as the order is inconsistent
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

I'm colourblind, and I have no issues distinguishing the colours.
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

Chris5156 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 23:28 That is the same yellow used on green signs, isn’t it? The shade of orange used on road signs is noticeably darker.
I agree, Chris, I think it's perhaps appearing darker due to the brown background. Either way, I think it's the most sensible colour to contrast with a brown background out of the available options.
Simon
Chris56000

Post by Chris56000 »

Hi!

It is the standard yellow/gold colour used on P.R. signage, and I have no difficulty in distinguishing it from the brown colour!

However, as many of these yellow letters/numbers faded to white after some years use on P.R. signs, those who are particularly looking for the Gaelic!

Chris Williams