Meaning of slow vehicles?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

solocle

Meaning of slow vehicles?

Post by solocle »

Without an explanatory plate like the Nene Valley Way one ("vehicles not able to exceed 25 mph"), what does this sign mean!?
091667EE-4148-4C92-9DEE-AFBDD10C2C39.jpeg
JohnnyMo

Re: Meaning of slow vehicles?

Post by JohnnyMo »

That sign means no tractor based diggers, I guess real tractors are permitted. A minimum speed limit would be better.

Question is could a minimum speed limit be time limited ? A1
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

These are special authorisation in both England and Wales, their exact meaning is what it says on the tin - agricultural vehicles and other slow moving vehicles using Rule 225 in the HC as the definition; anything that can't attain a speed higher than 25 mph and needs to display an amber beacon as per the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 (Reg 17).

A minimum speed limit would be exempt from general traffic conditions, like congestion, so you would still be allowed to have tractors access these roads when such low speed conditions existed. There's a reason we don't generally bother with minimum speed limits.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Bryn666 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:20 There's a reason we don't generally bother with minimum speed limits.
USA prohibition signage is more sensibly "Vehicles incapable of ..." rather than a minimum speed limit.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

WHBM wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:17
Bryn666 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:20 There's a reason we don't generally bother with minimum speed limits.
USA prohibition signage is more sensibly "Vehicles incapable of ..." rather than a minimum speed limit.
Strangely considering the way they signpost them, US regulatory signs are a lot more concise and easy to work out - with one notable exception; parking signs. But that said I don't think any country on Earth can do a good parking sign.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Bryn666 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:53 US regulatory signs are a lot more concise and easy to work out - with one notable exception; parking signs.
I don't know ...
NYC.JPG
solocle

Post by solocle »

Bryn666 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:20 These are special authorisation in both England and Wales, their exact meaning is what it says on the tin - agricultural vehicles and other slow moving vehicles using Rule 225 in the HC as the definition; anything that can't attain a speed higher than 25 mph and needs to display an amber beacon as per the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 (Reg 17).

A minimum speed limit would be exempt from general traffic conditions, like congestion, so you would still be allowed to have tractors access these roads when such low speed conditions existed. There's a reason we don't generally bother with minimum speed limits.
Also I'd assume that minimum speed limits, like maximum speed limits, don't apply to non-motorised vehicles.
Capture.JPG
I mean, you're utterly screwed here on a bicycle. The no cycling sign on the right? Good luck seeing that until you're right on top of it. Then how do you comply!? If you stop, you contravene the clearway regulations...
Capture.JPG
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

solocle wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 14:05
Bryn666 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:20 These are special authorisation in both England and Wales, their exact meaning is what it says on the tin - agricultural vehicles and other slow moving vehicles using Rule 225 in the HC as the definition; anything that can't attain a speed higher than 25 mph and needs to display an amber beacon as per the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 (Reg 17).

Also I'd assume that minimum speed limits, like maximum speed limits, don't apply to non-motorised vehicles.
Capture.JPG
I mean, you're utterly screwed here on a bicycle. The no cycling sign on the right? Good luck seeing that until you're right on top of it. Then how do you comply!? If you stop, you contravene the clearway regulations...
Capture.JPG
TBF it looks apparently "possible" to get there but not necessarily sensible to put oneself in that position. There is a cycling prohibition sign on the N/B entry slip at Littlebrook but not at Princes Way or the A2 N/B slips. However the parallel cycle path is well signed to get you to the main control building for the lift through the tunnel.
Coming south there is a prohibition sign on the SB A1306 to A282 slip and the adjacent cycle path takes you to the control building and the free phone for a trip over the bridge that I used in about 2010.
As for slow vehicles, I have seen tractors use Dartford Bridge during the early morning.
solocle

Post by solocle »

RichardA35 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 14:31

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG
TBF it looks apparently "possible" to get there but not necessarily sensible to put oneself in that position. There is a cycling prohibition sign on the N/B entry slip at Littlebrook but not at Princes Way or the A2 N/B slips. However the parallel cycle path is well signed to get you to the main control building for the lift through the tunnel.
Coming south there is a prohibition sign on the SB A1306 to A282 slip and the adjacent cycle path takes you to the control building and the free phone for a trip over the bridge that I used in about 2010.
As for slow vehicles, I have seen tractors use Dartford Bridge during the early morning.
Coming south the prohibitions are pretty watertight, although since "no cycling" signs don't have an "end" sign, what's to stop you just re-joining the carriageway from the cycleway... Possibly the "best" way to circumvent the restriction, however, is to take NCN 137 and make a wrong turn at Mar Dyke. There's a gate with the roundabout there which you could walk around, and no "No Cycling" signs, as the restrictions have already applied to the A13.

The circumstances that I can see riding across being useful would be when there's a gigantic traffic jam, which, given it's the Dartford Crossing, is hardly unusual. The shuttle service would get caught up in the jam, whereas it should be pretty easy to filter on a standard bike. Of course under such circumstances the bridge would be preferable to a tunnel...
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

solocle wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 17:02
RichardA35 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 14:31
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG
Coming south the prohibitions are pretty watertight, although since "no cycling" signs don't have an "end" sign, what's to stop you just re-joining the carriageway from the cycleway... Possibly the "best" way to circumvent the restriction, however, is to take NCN 137 and make a wrong turn at Mar Dyke. There's a gate with the roundabout there which you could walk around, and no "No Cycling" signs, as the restrictions have already applied to the A13.

The circumstances that I can see riding across being useful would be when there's a gigantic traffic jam, which, given it's the Dartford Crossing, is hardly unusual. The shuttle service would get caught up in the jam, whereas it should be pretty easy to filter on a standard bike. Of course under such circumstances the bridge would be preferable to a tunnel...
However that would be transgressing S23 of the Dartford-Thurrock Crossing Act where crossing by cycle is prohibited although apparently not fully signed.
solocle

Post by solocle »

RichardA35 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 17:25
solocle wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 17:02
RichardA35 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 14:31 TBF it looks apparently "possible" to get there but not necessarily sensible to put oneself in that position. There is a cycling prohibition sign on the N/B entry slip at Littlebrook but not at Princes Way or the A2 N/B slips. However the parallel cycle path is well signed to get you to the main control building for the lift through the tunnel.

However that would be transgressing S23 of the Dartford-Thurrock Crossing Act where crossing by cycle is prohibited although apparently not fully signed.
Yeah, I don't think it would fly if you did some obvious maneuver to circumvent the restriction. Simply following the hard shoulder of the A2, on the other hand...