Disabled parking bay dimensions?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Very Short Username

Disabled parking bay dimensions?

Post by Very Short Username »

Is there a minimum useable carriageway that has to be left to pass a disabled parking bay that was painted parallel to the kerb?
Ruperts Trooper

Re: Disabled parking bay dimensions?

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

Very Short Username wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 14:44 Is there a minimum useable carriageway that has to be left to pass a disabled parking bay that was painted parallel to the kerb?
A disabled parking space is the same size as a normal space but with additional area around the perimeter - if it's on the carriageway I'd suggest that no additional width is needed.
Lifelong motorhead
BeenEverywhere

Post by BeenEverywhere »

Paint it 45 feet long and mark it "Loading Only", you can guarantee there'll be a blue badge smack in the middle of it within 30 seconds.

Guess who's been on town centre deliveries today? :roll:
Been everywhere... can't remember any of it

Was fun though :laugh:
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Ruperts Trooper wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 16:47
Very Short Username wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 14:44 Is there a minimum useable carriageway that has to be left to pass a disabled parking bay that was painted parallel to the kerb?
A disabled parking space is the same size as a normal space but with additional area around the perimeter - if it's on the carriageway I'd suggest that no additional width is needed.
The standard size for a UK parking bay is 2.4 m wide and 4.8 m long. Pity thsat the Range Rover Sport is 2.047 m wide (mirrors folded in) and 5.052 m long.
Very Short Username

Problem I have is the council painted a disabled space opposite the gable end of my house, it's a tight street so it pushes passing vehicles towards my house. The roof overhangs the road slightly at the gable end, and has done for 100 years, until the other day. An ambulance squeezed passed the car in the disabled space and damaged the roof.
I was curious to know if there's is supposed to be a minimum width of road left to pass a disabled space or not?
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

Very Short Username wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 01:34 Problem I have is the council painted a disabled space opposite the gable end of my house, it's a tight street so it pushes passing vehicles towards my house. The roof overhangs the road slightly at the gable end, and has done for 100 years, until the other day. An ambulance squeezed passed the car in the disabled space and damaged the roof.
I was curious to know if there's is supposed to be a minimum width of road left to pass a disabled space or not?
At the risk of upsetting your disabled neighbour, complain to the council AND the police that the parked vehicle is causing an obstruction - as obstruction is a police matter, not a parking offence and any concession for disabled parking requires that no obstruction is caused.
Lifelong motorhead
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

If there's less than 3m for vehicles to pass the the space shouldn't be there. The general presumption in the UK (TSM Ch. 5 and 6) is that except at approaches to traffic signals in low speed urban situations the clear path for vehicles is 3m minimum.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Very Short Username

Ruperts Trooper wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 07:34
Very Short Username wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 01:34 Problem I have is the council painted a disabled space opposite the gable end of my house, it's a tight street so it pushes passing vehicles towards my house. The roof overhangs the road slightly at the gable end, and has done for 100 years, until the other day. An ambulance squeezed passed the car in the disabled space and damaged the roof.
At the risk of upsetting your disabled neighbour, complain to the council AND the police that the parked vehicle is causing an obstruction - as obstruction is a police matter, not a parking offence and any concession for disabled parking requires that no obstruction is caused.
The ideal solution would be to stop up the end of the road, it's more of a lane at that point and would solve all the issues.
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

Very Short Username wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 00:40
Ruperts Trooper wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 07:34
The ideal solution would be to stop up the end of the road, it's more of a lane at that point and would solve all the issues.
Depending on what's on the other side of the road, would it make more sense to have the marked disabled bay on *your* side of the road? Presuming your disabled neighbour drives a normal sized car, this would actually protect your roof, and if there is no similar high-level obstruction on the other side of the road, taller vehicles would be able to pass.

Fire engines and dust carts are about the same size and, along with smaller police vehicles and ambulances, are the only vehicles that absolutely must have access right now, when they get there. It makes sense therefore that the benchmark for both motorists who park and for councils marking out spaces or applying restrictions should be "can you drive a bin wagon down here?"
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

I would argue that's the bigger issue. Is there a height warning sign for your overhanging roof? If not, I think the highway authority needs to do something about it - either putting up an appropriate sign, or narrowing the carriageway so it doesn't pass under your roof (bollards, a kerb etc) - which I think would then make it obvious that the road is too narrow for a parking space there.