SPECS on Minor Roads

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

danfw194

SPECS on Minor Roads

Post by danfw194 »

When I say 'minor roads', I'm talking anything classified (or non-classified) below A and B roads.

Are there many examples of SPECS on minor roads? The example close to me is this. Are there many other examples, in my head it would seem a rarity to have SPECS on this type of road, but I'm sure you guys can prove me wrong.
jnty

Re: SPECS on Minor Roads

Post by jnty »

To the best of my knowledge there are no examples of this in Scotland. The 'most minor' installation I can think of is this on the basis that it's an urban 30 mph road and non-trunk, but it is of course the A7!
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Gloucester was probably the first place to have them on minor roads. Seymour Road, Tuffley Avenue and Podsmead Road had them installed not long after Specs cameras were first introduced.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

I think years ago Camden trialed them on Mansfield Road in a 20mph zone. Found one here not sure if it's still in use. But it's fairly residential.
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

The strangest ones I know are on the A228 on the Isle of Grain. It is an A road but a very unexpected place to find them considering how isolated the area is.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

MotorwayGuy wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 20:02 The strangest ones I know are on the A228 on the Isle of Grain. It is an A road but a very unexpected place to find them considering how isolated the area is.
But that's why they are there. Remote isolated places are where drivers often put their foot down.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Truvelo wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 16:07
MotorwayGuy wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 20:02 The strangest ones I know are on the A228 on the Isle of Grain. It is an A road but a very unexpected place to find them considering how isolated the area is.
But that's why they are there. Remote isolated places are where drivers often put their foot down.
So what particular danger are they there to guard against? Exceeding the limit ... but with what consequence?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
baroudeur

Post by baroudeur »

danfw194 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 16:24 When I say 'minor roads', I'm talking anything classified (or non-classified) below A and B roads.

Are there many examples of SPECS on minor roads? The example close to me is this. Are there many other examples, in my head it would seem a rarity to have SPECS on this type of road, but I'm sure you guys can prove me wrong.
North Beds Borough has a number of them within the area.

The Embankment, Bedford has three sets.
Barkers Lane, Bedford
Spring Road, Kempston
Woburn Road, Kempston
Box End Road, Kempston
Village Road, Bromham
Station Road, Oakley
Bedford Road, Wooton
Green End, Renhold
Top end, Renhold
Church End, Renhold
and others
jnty

Post by jnty »

Chris Bertram wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 21:36
Truvelo wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 16:07
So what particular danger are they there to guard against? Exceeding the limit ... but with what consequence?
Isolated doesn't mean empty - in fact, the assumption that these roads will be empty probably makes people behave more dangerously.
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

danfw194 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 16:24 When I say 'minor roads', I'm talking anything classified (or non-classified) below A and B roads.

Beacon Road is the B591 isn't it?

Burton Road in Measham has SPECS installed, it used to be the B5002 but has been unclassified for donkey's years.
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

jnty wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:08
Chris Bertram wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 21:36
Truvelo wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 16:07 But that's why they are there. Remote isolated places are where drivers often put their foot down.
Isolated doesn't mean empty - in fact, the assumption that these roads will be empty probably makes people behave more dangerously.
Empty - perhaps not, it is an A-road after all. But was there a particular issue with collisions, or have they just been put there because "PeOpLe ArE bReAkInG tHe LaW"? Laws that are perceived as being arbitrary and unreasonable will be ignored in the absence of strenuous enforcement, and this doesn't just apply to road traffic law.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
jnty

Post by jnty »

Chris Bertram wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:04
jnty wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:08
Chris Bertram wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 21:36 So what particular danger are they there to guard against? Exceeding the limit ... but with what consequence?
Empty - perhaps not, it is an A-road after all. But was there a particular issue with collisions, or have they just been put there because "PeOpLe ArE bReAkInG tHe LaW"? Laws that are perceived as being arbitrary and unreasonable will be ignored in the absence of strenuous enforcement, and this doesn't just apply to road traffic law.
A quick google suggests the former.

Which probably makes sense, because if the latter was enough justification to put speed cameras in, there would be speed cameras on almost every road!
danfw194

Post by danfw194 »

Bfivethousand wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:49 Beacon Road is the B591 isn't it?
It used to be, but I believe the B591 classification was dropped in the last couple of decades. Certainly there is no signage along this road carrying the B591 moniker any more.